Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

  • John Roth
    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      On Tuesday, January 01, 2008 2:06 PM
      Ron Jeffries said:

      > Like a lot of other people here, I'm fearful that velocity will be
      > misused. I'm trying to want to fix it so that we don't have to be
      > afraid of it, rather than try to argue it out of existence.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > If not now, when? -- The Talmud

      It seems like there are two different ways of using
      a productivity measure. One is competitively, the
      other is as a simple measure of improvement.

      Competitive use is, as far as I'm concerned, misuse.
      It leads, almost inevitably, to gaming the numbers and
      other types of organizational malfunction.

      On the other hand, having a way to tell if change is
      leading to improved productivity is not only useful,
      it's necessary - otherwise you're shooting blanks in the
      dark. I don't know if velocity is that measure; but for
      local use it's probably not all that bad.

      John Roth
      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus