Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      Steve,

      If we believe Deming, the root cause of variations in output will be the
      system itself. Since the worker (developers in our case) don't have the
      power to change the system by themselves, the root cause of variation
      then lies with management. (Of course in a healthy environment,
      developers will have an input into the process.) This was Deming's
      reasoning behind "eliminating numerical goals"... the numbers are not
      important, the methods that created those numbers *are* important.
      Managers who set goals rather than improving methods are making a huge
      mistake.

      So in the context of this discussion, any manager who wanted to
      understand the variation in the velocity numbers would need to
      understand the methods that caused those variations. We have already
      discussed that there are any number of reasons that velocity could vary,
      including of course productivity. This mean understanding and "fixing"
      all of the methods that produce the velocity number. So we would need
      to have more accurate estimates, more normalized story sizes from the
      customer, similarity of experience across teams etc. Show me a manager
      asking for "productivity numbers" who is willing to tackle all of those
      problems... and I bet anyone on this list would gladly report their
      velocity numbers every week.

      Matt

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steve Howell <showell30@...>

      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus