Software Reuse and Extreme Programming

  • Gerald DeHondt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
      We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the Extreme
      Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
      into this idea. We are hoping to determine the value and
      applicability of this approach in corporate software development
      efforts and possibly determine the best approach to integrate Reuse
      into Extreme Programming.

      It is believed that properly integrating this approach into XP will
      enhance the overall methodology and speed the development process.
      One consideration is that the reusable components must be developed
      in accordance with the practices and principles of Extreme
      Programming in order to integrate appropriately into future projects.

      With this in mind, we are seeking input from the XP community to
      better understand how Software Reuse would integrate into this
      methodology and whether anything like this is currently in use.

      We would appreciate your time in completing a short, on-line survey
      to help validate our model and determine the value of this approach
      in practice.

      The survey is located at:

      http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm

      Feel free to contact Jerry DeHondt (dehondt@...) or Vijay
      Sugumaran (sugumara@...) if you have any questions or would
      like any additional information.

      Thank you for your help.
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
        On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
        > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the Extreme
        > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
        > into this idea.

        Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
        believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
        design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
        natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
        reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
        differently?
        ----
        Your guide to software craftsmanship
      • Scott Ambler
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "J. B. Rainsberger"
          <jbrains762@...> wrote:

          > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
          > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
          > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
          > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
          > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
          > differently?

          That's only true for low-levels of reuse -- code reuse, component
          reuse, ... Higher levels of reuse need support of enterprise-level
          activities such as enterprise architecture to promote a common
          foundation within the org and potentially even a product-line strategy
          to work to. Support for a reuse program is also critical to fund
          harvesting efforts, to help teams adopt reusable stuff, to support a
          asset repository, and so on. The EUP includes disciplines for both of
          these activities, plus supporting disciplines such as enterprise
          business modeling (arguably part of EA) and portfolio management. The
          EA discipline is summarized at
          http://www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com/essays/enterpriseArchitecture.ht
          ml and the reuse discipline at
          http://www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com/essays/strategicReuse.html .

          For the survey authors, I'd just like to point out that some work has
          already been done on this topic. Although the EUP is presented in
          terms of RUP, the fact is that as long as there's an evolutionary
          process for the development effort then you're good to go.

          - Scott
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
            Hello, J.. On Tuesday, January 1, 2008, at 9:53:19 PM, you wrote:

            > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
            >> We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the Extreme
            >> Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
            >> into this idea.
            >>
            > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
            > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
            > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
            > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
            > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
            > differently?

            Chet and I have talked a lot with Gerry and a bit less with Vijay.
            I'm hopeful that people will fill out the survey and that something
            good will come from it.

            Their concern seems to be at a more broad level than the single XP
            team. As far as I know, there's nothing good out there that would
            bring about broad sharing of a corporation's code. As far as I know,
            XP will /not/ bring that about, because separate teams still do not
            share much in my experience. And, I think that one important
            question is what the economic model for reuse really is. It might
            pay off very differently from what some people expect.

            Anyway, I'm hoping they get some good data.

            Don't confuse more exact with better. -- Brian Marick
          • Gerald DeHondt
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hello J.B.,

              Believe that we are of the same mind. One of the caveats we are wary
              of within this model is that the reusable code must have been
              developed respecting the principles and practices of XP.

              One of the challenges with software reuse is identifying pre-existing
              code that will meet your needs in an efficient fashion. Simply
              stated, why recreate the wheel if a pre-existing component will meet
              our needs. It also needs to be identified quicker than "building it
              yourself".

              What we are attempting to do is search for a way that may improve
              reuse, and in turn improve the method integrating this approach.

              Appreciate your insight.

              Jerry

              <jbrains762@...> wrote:

              > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
              > > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
              Extreme
              > > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain
              input
              > > into this idea.
              > >
              > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
              > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
              > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is
              > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore,
              software
              > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you
              believe
              > differently?
              > ----
              > J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger :: http://www.jbrains.ca
              > Your guide to software craftsmanship
              > JUnit Recipes: Practical Methods for Programmer Testing
              > 2005 Gordon Pask Award for contribution Agile Software Practice

            • Gerald DeHondt
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                Hello Ricardo,

                The Repository may be a pre-existing code base or a shell to be
                populated. That is really less of an issue as ensuring that there
                would be a quality code base to draw from.

                Thank you,

                Jerry

                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Mayerhofer
                <ricardo@...> wrote:

                > The step 1 starts searching reusable components in the reuse
                repository.
                > How the reuse repository is initially filled?
                >
                > Gerald DeHondt escreveu:
                > >
                > > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
                Extreme
                > > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain
                input
                > > into this idea. We are hoping to determine the value and
                > > applicability of this approach in corporate software development
                > > efforts and possibly determine the best approach to integrate
                Reuse
                > > into Extreme Programming.
                > >
                > > It is believed that properly integrating this approach into XP
                will
                > > enhance the overall methodology and speed the development process.
                > > One consideration is that the reusable components must be
                developed
                > > in accordance with the practices and principles of Extreme
                > > Programming in order to integrate appropriately into future
                projects.

                > > With this in mind, we are seeking input from the XP community to
                > > better understand how Software Reuse would integrate into this
                > > methodology and whether anything like this is currently in use.
                > >
                > > We would appreciate your time in completing a short, on-line
                survey
                > > to help validate our model and determine the value of this
                approach
                > > in practice.
                > >
                > > The survey is located at:
                > >
                > > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
                > > <http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm>
                > >
                > > Feel free to contact Jerry DeHondt (dehondt@...
                > > <mailto:dehondt%40oakland.edu>) or Vijay
                > > Sugumaran (sugumara@... <mailto:sugumara%40oakland.edu>) if
                > > you have any questions or would
                > > like any additional information.
                > >
                > > Thank you for your help.

              • Steven Gordon
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                  The way some "non-agile" organizations attempt to find reuse
                  opportunities is to create an architecture group (if it does not
                  already exist) and include identifying reuse opportunities for
                  projects whose architectures they are designing, leveraging what they
                  know from having architected previous projects.

                  Clearly, this approach will not work for agile software development,
                  but I still believe the way to best solve the problem of identifying
                  reuse candidates is to leverage people instead of technology.

                  Suppose the agile organization creates an architecture group from it
                  best developers, but instead of the group dictating architecture to
                  the teams, these developers are spread among the teams to actively
                  participate in development. They would spend some percentage of their
                  time:
                  - identifying potential candidates for reuse,
                  - identifying potential clients for reuse,
                  - cross-fertilizing the projects with architectural concepts by
                  interacting with other members of the architecture group.
                  Perhaps a wiki could be used instead of a "repository".

                  Depending on the size of the organization and the expense that the
                  organization is willing to spend on reuse and architectural
                  cross-fertilization:
                  - there might be one member per team (or one per N teams, where the
                  member rotates among those N teams),
                  - the percentage of time devoted to reuse/architectural overhead might
                  be anywhere from 5-50% for each member (above 50% and there is a
                  danger that these "architects" will lose touch with development
                  becoming the type of architects we find too often in "non-agile"
                  organizations).

                  Steve Gordon

                  On Jan 2, 2008 10:22 AM, Gerald DeHondt <gdehondt@...> wrote:

                  > Hello J.B.,
                  >
                  > Believe that we are of the same mind. One of the caveats we are wary
                  > of within this model is that the reusable code must have been
                  > developed respecting the principles and practices of XP.
                  >
                  > One of the challenges with software reuse is identifying pre-existing
                  > code that will meet your needs in an efficient fashion. Simply
                  > stated, why recreate the wheel if a pre-existing component will meet
                  > our needs. It also needs to be identified quicker than "building it
                  > yourself".
                  >
                  > What we are attempting to do is search for a way that may improve
                  > reuse, and in turn improve the method integrating this approach.
                  >
                  > Appreciate your insight.
                  >
                  > Jerry
                  >

                  > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "J. B. Rainsberger"
                  > <jbrains762@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
                  > > > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
                  > Extreme
                  > > > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain
                  > input
                  > > > into this idea.
                  > > >
                  > > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
                  > > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
                  > > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is
                  > > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore,
                  > software
                  > > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you
                  > believe
                  > > differently?
                  > > ----
                  > > J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger :: http://www.jbrains.ca
                  > > Your guide to software craftsmanship
                  > > JUnit Recipes: Practical Methods for Programmer Testing
                  > > 2005 Gordon Pask Award for contribution Agile Software Practice

                • Ricardo Mayerhofer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008

                    Gerald DeHondt escreveu:

                    > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the Extreme
                    > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
                    > into this idea. We are hoping to determine the value and
                    > applicability of this approach in corporate software development
                    > efforts and possibly determine the best approach to integrate Reuse
                    > into Extreme Programming.
                    >
                    > It is believed that properly integrating this approach into XP will
                    > enhance the overall methodology and speed the development process.
                    > One consideration is that the reusable components must be developed
                    > in accordance with the practices and principles of Extreme
                    > Programming in order to integrate appropriately into future projects.
                    >
                    > With this in mind, we are seeking input from the XP community to
                    > better understand how Software Reuse would integrate into this
                    > methodology and whether anything like this is currently in use.
                    >
                    > We would appreciate your time in completing a short, on-line survey
                    > to help validate our model and determine the value of this approach
                    > in practice.
                    >
                    > The survey is located at:
                    >
                    > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
                    > <http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm>
                    >
                    > Feel free to contact Jerry DeHondt (dehondt@...
                    > <mailto:dehondt%40oakland.edu>) or Vijay
                    > Sugumaran (sugumara@... <mailto:sugumara%40oakland.edu>) if
                    > you have any questions or would
                    > like any additional information.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your help.

                  • Scott Ambler
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008

                      > The step 1 starts searching reusable components in
                      > the reuse repository.
                      > How the reuse repository is initially filled?

                      This is actually a serious issue in practice. There
                      are several basic strategies for getting reusable
                      assets into a repository:
                      1. Building something to be reusable. This is
                      possible although fraught with peril. To pull this
                      off you have to be pretty good at predicting what
                      people will need. Having a reasonably
                      common/enterprise architecture in place helps this
                      strategy.
                      2. Harvesting existing stuff. Someone may have built
                      something which is specific to their own needs but
                      with a bit of work it can potentially be made
                      reusable. To make this strategy work you pretty much
                      need to fund the extra work outside the scope of the
                      current project AND fund the work to reintegrate it
                      back into the original system once the reusable
                      version is available. The reintegration effort
                      ensures that at least one team will reuse whatever it
                      is that you've harvested.
                      3. Purchase/download. There's a lot of reusable stuff
                      out there already in the marketplace. Smart orgs will
                      fund the effort to obtain these things. Even if the
                      reusable item is "free" you still need to fund the
                      effort to obtain and then support it. This is
                      basically a specialization of #2.
                      4. Free-for-all. Let pretty much anyone put anything
                      that they want into the repository. The challenge
                      with this approach is that you'll end up with a lot of
                      junk that people really aren't interested (a good rule
                      of thumb is that something is reusable only after it's
                      been reused at least three times by three different
                      teams). You can have some sort of gatekeeper on the
                      respository who reviews material before it goes in and
                      thereby avoid the obvious junk.

                      Strategies #2 and #3 are the best ones IMHO. #1 is
                      doable although usually requires significant maturity
                      (not in the CMMI misuse of the term) on the part of
                      the organization. #4 has the appearance of working in
                      the short term but will fail if you're not good at
                      culling the unwanted junk from the repository.

                      For reuse to work in practice you'll need to fund it
                      separately from normal projects. To make things
                      harder you'll also need to be able to fund this over
                      several years, a significant challenge because from
                      what I can tell a lot of IT organizations seem to have
                      the attention span of a 4 year old child. My article
                      at
                      http://www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com/essays/strategicReuse.html
                      overviews the basics of running a successful reuse
                      program.

                      - Scott

                      Scott W. Ambler
                      Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Methods Group
                      http://www.ibm.com/rational/bios/ambler.html
                      Agile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler

                      http://www.flickr.com/gift/
                    • Scott Ambler
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Steven
                        Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

                        > The way some "non-agile" organizations attempt to
                        find reuse
                        > opportunities is to create an architecture group (if
                        it does not
                        > already exist) and include identifying reuse
                        opportunities for
                        > projects whose architectures they are designing,
                        leveraging what they
                        > know from having architected previous projects.

                        A lot of agile organizations also take this sort of
                        strategy. But they do it in a collaborative manner
                        instead of a command-and-control manner.
                        "Architecture" and "modeling" don't have to be dirty
                        words anymore. I've posted a few thoughts about agile
                        architecture at a project level at
                        http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileArchitecture.htm
                        and at the enterprise level at
                        http://www.agiledata.org/essays/enterpriseArchitecture.html
                        . The architecture folks can and should work in an
                        agile manner, IMHO.

                        > Clearly, this approach will not work for agile
                        software development,
                        > but I still believe the way to best solve the
                        problem of identifying
                        > reuse candidates is to leverage people instead of
                        technology.

                        Exactly. So leverage the architects instead of the
                        architecture models/documents.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                          On Jan 2, 2008, at 06:51 , Ron Jeffries wrote:

                          > Hello, J.. On Tuesday, January 1, 2008, at 9:53:19 PM, you wrote:
                          >
                          > > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
                          > >> We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
                          > Extreme
                          > >> Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
                          > >> into this idea.
                          > >>
                          > > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
                          > > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
                          > > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
                          > > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
                          > > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
                          > > differently?
                          >
                          > Chet and I have talked a lot with Gerry and a bit less with Vijay.
                          > I'm hopeful that people will fill out the survey and that something
                          > good will come from it.
                          >
                          > Their concern seems to be at a more broad level than the single XP
                          > team. As far as I know, there's nothing good out there that would
                          > bring about broad sharing of a corporation's code. As far as I know,
                          > XP will /not/ bring that about, because separate teams still do not
                          > share much in my experience. And, I think that one important
                          > question is what the economic model for reuse really is. It might
                          > pay off very differently from what some people expect.
                          >
                          > Anyway, I'm hoping they get some good data.

                          Aha. That explains a great deal. I know what I counsel organizations
                          on the topic, but I don't want to skew any data, so I'll remain quiet.
                          ----
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                            <gdehondt@...> wrote:
                            <snip>

                            > The survey is located at:
                            >

                            > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm

                            I just responded to this survey and the following error was displayed:

                            [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect

                            /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128

                            - Scott
                          • John A. De Goes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                              Perhaps it would have been better to reuse some pre-existing survey
                              software, instead of writing it from scratch? :-)

                              John A. De Goes
                              N-BRAIN, Inc.
                              http://www.n-brain.net
                              [n minds are better than n-1]

                              On Jan 3, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:

                              > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                              > <gdehondt@...> wrote:
                              > <snip>
                              > >
                              > > The survey is located at:
                              > >

                              > > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
                              > >

                              > I just responded to this survey and the following error was displayed:
                              > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e10'
                              >
                              > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect
                              >
                              > /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128
                              >
                              > - Scott

                            • Scott Ambler
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                                Ouch.

                                SurveyMonkey has always worked well for me, BTW.

                                - Scott

                                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "John A. De Goes"
                                <john@...> wrote:

                                > Perhaps it would have been better to reuse some pre-existing
                                survey
                                > software, instead of writing it from scratch? :-)
                                >
                                > John A. De Goes
                                > N-BRAIN, Inc.
                                > http://www.n-brain.net
                                > [n minds are better than n-1]
                                >
                                > On Jan 3, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:
                                >
                                > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                                > > <gdehondt@> wrote:
                                > > <snip>
                                > > >
                                > > > The survey is located at:
                                > > >

                                > > > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
                                > > >

                                > > I just responded to this survey and the following error was
                                displayed:
                                > > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e10'
                                > >
                                > > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect
                                > >
                                > > /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128
                                > >
                                > > - Scott

                              • Gerald DeHondt
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                                  The survey appears to be working now.

                                  Please feel free to complete and submit :)

                                  Thank you for your help.

                                  Jerry

                                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Ambler"
                                  <scottwambler@...> wrote:

                                  > Ouch.
                                  >
                                  > SurveyMonkey has always worked well for me, BTW.
                                  >
                                  > - Scott
                                  >
                                  > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "John A. De Goes"
                                  > <john@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Perhaps it would have been better to reuse some pre-existing
                                  > survey
                                  > > software, instead of writing it from scratch? :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > John A. De Goes
                                  > > N-BRAIN, Inc.
                                  > > http://www.n-brain.net
                                  > > [n minds are better than n-1]
                                  > >
                                  > > On Jan 3, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                                  > > > <gdehondt@> wrote:
                                  > > > <snip>

                                  > > > I just responded to this survey and the following error was
                                  > displayed:
                                  > > > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e10'
                                  > > >
                                  > > > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect
                                  > > >
                                  > > > /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128
                                  > > >
                                  > > > - Scott

                                • Gerald DeHondt
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
                                    Hello,

                                    Wanted to bring this item back to everyone's attention. Have
                                    received some good discussion on this item and good feedback from the
                                    message board. Thank you to all who have shared insight.

                                    One of the critical items for our research is to have people fill out
                                    the following survey:

                                    http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm

                                    If you could take a few minutes to provide insight into our idea it
                                    would be very much appreciated. If you are interested in seeing the
                                    results of this research feel free to send an email to Jerry DeHondt