Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hello, Edmund. On Tuesday, January 1, 2008, at 1:47:05 PM, you
      wrote:

      >>> I don't know what the velocity of either team is. If each team
      >>> estimated each of their stories as one point each, then yes.
      >>> What are the odds of that?
      >> Oh come on you guys. Same stories, all things equal except: one team
      >> does ten, other does twenty. However we calculate velocity, one will
      >> be twice the other, and the reason will be that they ARE twice as
      >> productive.

      > Really? One team estimates in gummi bears and delivered forty gummi
      > bears worth of stories; obviously, Team Gummi Bear has a velocity of 40.
      > The other team estimates in pomodori and delivered twenty pomodori worth
      > of stories; equally obviously, Team Pomodori has a velocity of 20.

      > Now, based on that information, can you tell which team delivered ten
      > running, tested features and which team delivered twenty?

      > (ROT-13'd answer: Ubcrshyyl, vg'f boivbhf gung lbh pna'g gryy. Vs abg,
      > V'yy unir gb znxr gur rknzcyr rira zber boivbhf.)

      > Hopefully, it's obvious that you can't tell. If not, I'll have to
      > make the example even more obvious

      Of course not, but you changed the rules. And it seems to me this is
      begging the question. Do you really believe that velocity means
      *nothing* with respect to how much teams are getting done?

      I don't. I don't know how to use it safely, but I'm absolutely
      certain that velocity is a rough measure of what's getting done ...
      because I have sat with teams as their velocity changed.

      Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.
      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus