Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hello, John. On Tuesday, January 1, 2008, at 12:07:26 PM, you
      wrote:

      > Whose productivity?

      > A bit farther down in the thread you give several rather
      > different spans, including:

      > 1. from when a feature is proposed to when it's put into
      > production use.

      > 2. when the feature is added to the dev team's workload
      > to when it's delivered.

      > 3. when the dev team starts working on it to when they
      > deliver it at the end of the iteration. This is what I normally
      > think of as a cycle - it's the iteration.

      > The only one that directly relates to the development
      > team's productivity is number 3. The other two relate
      > only to the extent that the development team is the
      > bottleneck in the overall process, which may or may
      > not be true.

      Yes, I agree with these observations. From a Lean viewpoint, I think
      that number 1 is more like the definition one "should" use, but it
      seems reasonable -- even if it isn't -- that a development manager
      would like to know "how productive" his people are.

      I'd like to know a good and convincing answer to that kind of
      question.

      Anyone can make the simple complicated.
      Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus
      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.