Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

  • Edmund Schweppe
    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > Hello, Charlie. On Sunday, December 30, 2007, at 10:46:55 PM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      >>> Isn't the velocity of the one team ten, and the other twenty?
      >> I don't know what the velocity of either team is. If each team
      >> estimated each of their stories as one point each, then yes.
      >> What are the odds of that?
      > Oh come on you guys. Same stories, all things equal except: one team
      > does ten, other does twenty. However we calculate velocity, one will
      > be twice the other, and the reason will be that they ARE twice as
      > productive.

      Really? One team estimates in gummi bears and delivered forty gummi
      bears worth of stories; obviously, Team Gummi Bear has a velocity of 40.
      The other team estimates in pomodori and delivered twenty pomodori worth
      of stories; equally obviously, Team Pomodori has a velocity of 20.

      Now, based on that information, can you tell which team delivered ten
      running, tested features and which team delivered twenty?

      (ROT-13'd answer: Ubcrshyyl, vg'f boivbhf gung lbh pna'g gryy. Vs abg,
      V'yy unir gb znxr gur rknzcyr rira zber boivbhf.)

      --
      Edmund Schweppe, President
      Firepool Consulting, Inc. - Effective Software Development
      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus