Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

  • John Roth
    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      Ron Jeffries said on Monday, December 31, 2007 5:36 PM

      > Hello, Steve. On Monday, December 31, 2007, at 11:29:28 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Sure, that makes sense, but can you tie productivity
      >> to another metric, or maybe a series of metrics that
      >> contextualize velocity?
      >
      > I certainly don't know. Just wanted us to all keep in mind that the
      > desire to track velocity likely comes from a desire to know
      > something about productivity -- whatever that is.

      Whose productivity?

      A bit farther down in the thread you give several rather
      different spans, including:

      1. from when a feature is proposed to when it's put into
      production use.

      2. when the feature is added to the dev team's workload
      to when it's delivered.

      3. when the dev team starts working on it to when they
      deliver it at the end of the iteration. This is what I normally
      think of as a cycle - it's the iteration.

      The only one that directly relates to the development
      team's productivity is number 3. The other two relate
      only to the extent that the development team is the
      bottleneck in the overall process, which may or may
      not be true.

      John Roth

      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16 5:33 PM
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus