Re: [XP] Support In an agile group

  • Kim Gräsman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
      Hi Lior,

      On 12/12/07, Lior Friedman <friedmanlior@...> wrote:

      > One of the reallydifficult questions that we are trying to solve over the last couple
      > of monthsis how to handle support work without completely disrupting the
      > iteration flow.
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > Does anyone have anyexperience or thoughts on how to achieve a good level of
      > support while stilldeveloping in short iterations?

      We are a team doing sustain work on a product at the downhill of its lifecycle.

      While doing more or less planned project work (defect fixes, new
      features) we also need to respond to critical issues from our support
      team.

      What we've done is ask permissions from the support team not to
      respond to these critical issues _at once_, but rather schedule them
      as work for next week.

      Our iterations run Monday-Monday, so on Friday I sit down with my PO
      and support manager and try to prioritize the work for next week.

      This has been working pretty well for us, in that we don't get
      constant interruptions.

      On the other hand, this type of support work has been notoriously hard
      to estimate, and so is difficult to plan alongside the budgeted work
      we do.

      I guess the level of service is somewhat diminished for our support
      team as there's (at most) a week of waiting time before someone
      touches their problem, but we try to be pragmatic -- quick questions
      are obviously answered directly, and should a problem be so critical
      that it can't wait for the next planning session, we take it on
      immediately.

      All in all, I think we're on the right track, but there are still some
      nuts and bolts missing (good estimate and measuring techniques for the
      work, better-prepared background info for the cases going into the
      team).

      FWIW,
      - Kim