[ANN] Pittsburgh Coding Dojo - Dec 13th @ 6:00 PM

  • Greg Akins
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2007
      Double Entry Book keeping (Just in time for the Xmas shopping season ;-)

      Our December 13th meeting will focus on the programming challenges
      around implementing a Double-Entry bookkeeping system. As usual, the
      meeting will be held at the Pittsburgh Technology Council Offices
      (pghtech.org) at 6:00PM Pizza and Drinks will be provided thanks to
      the the Council.

      The difficulty for the programmer lies mostly in the cross-referencing
      of transaction records. Trying to "pick the nouns" out of the system
      only gets one so far; many of these entities are easy to identify but
      hard to place. They have no obvious "place to live": Does a journal
      contain transactions? Do the ledgers contain transactions? Do the
      ledgers contain the journals? We have entities that refer and relate
      to other entities. If a relational database isn't the only way to
      represent this, what choices does the programmer have to make? Where
      would one choose to tolerate duplication? For which operations should
      one optimize?

      You can find more information at http://pghcodingdojo.org

      --
      Greg Akins