Re: New Article: Planning the Project

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 207 , Dec 4, 2007
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Jones" <simon@...>
      wrote:
      > I just don't like organised retro's. I'm not stopping the team
      > holding them. If they really want to I'll attend... I'd just prefer
      > an environment where improvements are happening continuously.
      >
      > If someone feels we should halt the 'production line' I want them to
      > pull the chain there and then.

      I think you are confusing "stop the line" for product defects with
      "kaizen improvements" for process improvement. Kaizen IS a formalized
      process (although not in the traditional sense of formal) for
      implementing process improvements. That said.. if retrospectives are
      the *only* kaizen-like activities in your organization then that's
      indicative of a bigger problem.

      IMO retrospectives give an opportunity to present ideas and brainstorm
      them in a team environment. Some of the changes that *should* come out
      of a retrospective are ones that shouldn't just be thrown together.
      Mary Poppendieck provided some insight on this when she mentioned that
      "process improvement" doesn't mean "try this and see if it works" it
      means using the scientific method to determine whether a process change
      really is a process improvement.

      Matt
    • Jim Shore
      Message 207 of 207 , Dec 7, 2007
        While these sorts of tools are useful for distributed teams and can
        encourage agile adoption, I think many do more harm than good. They
        enable bad behaviors (just as CI servers enable 4-hour build times).
        They often act as a substitute for face-to-face communication,
        working directly together, and big visible charts. Exactly the
        opposite of what successful agile teams need.

        I've yet to see one that I thought was helpful for a collocated
        team. I've seen plenty of teams that could have been collocated use
        tools like this to avoid rich collaboration, without even realizing it.

        I haven't looked at Mingle yet.

        Regards,
        Jim

        --
        James Shore, Titanium I.T. LLC
        co-author of The Art of Agile Development--now available!

        voice: 503-267-5490
        email: jshore@...
        blog: http://www.jamesshore.com