Re: New Article: Planning the Project

  • Simon Jones
    Message 1 of 207 , Dec 4, 2007
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
      <lists@...> wrote:

      > Simon Jones wrote:
      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
      > > <lists@> wrote:

      > > with
      > >> Hmmm, I wonder if there's a link between not liking
      retrospectives
      > > (and,
      > >> seemingly, misinterpreting what they are) and this tendency not
      > > learn
      > >> from the past.
      > >
      > > Nope, I don't think so.
      > >
      > > And as I went on to mention, I prefer the idea of a diary.
      > > Information gathered without the benefit of hindsight is, I
      think,
      > > potentially of more value.
      >
      > And how does that data provide value without going back, looking at
      it,
      > and thinking about it?

      I didn't say one shouldn't go back and look at it. What I said
      earlier in the thread is that its more valuable to review decisions
      and thinking that occured /at the time/...

      The memory fades quickly and the act of remembering, even over a
      short period distorts our view of it.

      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
      http://www.idiacomputing.com
      http://www.agilemaryland.org
      ----

    • Jim Shore
      Message 207 of 207 , Dec 7, 2007
        While these sorts of tools are useful for distributed teams and can
        encourage agile adoption, I think many do more harm than good. They
        enable bad behaviors (just as CI servers enable 4-hour build times).
        They often act as a substitute for face-to-face communication,
        working directly together, and big visible charts. Exactly the
        opposite of what successful agile teams need.

        I've yet to see one that I thought was helpful for a collocated
        team. I've seen plenty of teams that could have been collocated use
        tools like this to avoid rich collaboration, without even realizing it.

        I haven't looked at Mingle yet.

        Regards,
        Jim

        --
        James Shore, Titanium I.T. LLC
        co-author of The Art of Agile Development--now available!

        voice: 503-267-5490
        email: jshore@...
        blog: http://www.jamesshore.com