Re: [XP] How much specifications in BDD?

  • Elizabeth Keogh
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007

      wrote:

      > > If I were doing proper BDD, I'd try to work out what benefit the Ajax
      > > calls were providing, then work them into my scenario. eg:
      > >
      > > Given a user orders from the flower shop
      > > and we have three flowers called Rose, Rhodedendron and Ragged Robin
      > > When the user types 'R' into the text box
      > > Then the list of Rose, Rhodedendron and Ragged Robin should appear
      > > When the user clicks on Rose
      > > and the user clicks on Order
      > > Then an order should be produced for a bouquet of Roses.
      >
      > So, you really use story runner from David then?

      I've used the story runner from JBehave, and the new plain text story
      runner from RSpec. I've also extracted out given / when / then methods in
      acceptance tests that use Selenium, HttpUnit or just JUnit. At heart BDD
      is technology agnostic, though some technologies lend themselves to it
      better than others.

      Cheers,
      Liz.

      --
      Elizabeth Keogh
      liz@...

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 19, 2007
        On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:18 , Elizabeth Keogh wrote:

        > J.B.Rainsberger wrote on 26/11/2007 17:07:08:
        >
        > > On Nov 26, 2007, at 08:13, Elizabeth Keogh wrote:
        > >
        > > > You say 'Give me an example' or 'Give me a scenario where that
        > > > happens."
        > > >
        > > I do TDD with terms for non-IT people. I believe one can only do TDD
        > > well by incorporating the Ubiquitous Language. That is my current
        > > favorite reason why TDD and BDD are the same thing. :)
        >
        > Now, if only the software with which we modelled the TDD domain used
        > the
        > same ubiquitous language, and had domain objects and behaviour that
        > matched that language...

        Right. I learned to do the translation, so I do the translation. I
        wouldn't necessarily recommend others do the translation. That's one
        of the reasons I use RSpec on Rails.
        ----
        Your guide to software craftsmanship