Re: [XP] Re: New Article: Planning the Project

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 207 , Dec 1, 2007
      Simon Jones wrote:
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
      > <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      >> I'm curious about this. Presumably you were getting constant
      >> feedback that your estimates were too low, evidenced by not getting
      >> things done, or by the need to take shortcuts, or the need to work
      >> overtime. Do you remember whether the team noticed this? Do you
      >> remember why they didn't adjust?
      >>

      > So am I and I don't really have an answer.
      >
      > Yes we had feedback. Mainly in stories slipping, sometimes in corners
      > cut. Overtime!! Never.. over my dead body lol ;)
      >
      > It just seemed that we'd very quickly forget. The lesson might be
      > learned for the next iteration, but then soon we'd be anchoring our
      > estimates back down at the previous range.
      [snip]
      > Incidentally.. slightly off topic, I was chatting about this with
      > Pete the other night and got onto the topic of retrospectives.
      >
      > I've never been a fan for the same reason. Interpreting the past with
      > hindsight.

      Hmmm, I wonder if there's a link between not liking retrospectives (and,
      seemingly, misinterpreting what they are) and this tendency not to learn
      from the past.

      - George

    • Jim Shore
      Message 207 of 207 , Dec 7, 2007
        While these sorts of tools are useful for distributed teams and can
        encourage agile adoption, I think many do more harm than good. They
        enable bad behaviors (just as CI servers enable 4-hour build times).
        They often act as a substitute for face-to-face communication,
        working directly together, and big visible charts. Exactly the
        opposite of what successful agile teams need.

        I've yet to see one that I thought was helpful for a collocated
        team. I've seen plenty of teams that could have been collocated use
        tools like this to avoid rich collaboration, without even realizing it.

        I haven't looked at Mingle yet.

        Regards,
        Jim

        --
        James Shore, Titanium I.T. LLC
        co-author of The Art of Agile Development--now available!

        voice: 503-267-5490
        email: jshore@...
        blog: http://www.jamesshore.com