Re: [XP] Role of Developer in Stand-up Meetings

  • Sean McMillan
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
      > Some of you raised questions about doing my PhD on stand-ups. But
      > basically I am starting from stand-ups and developers in agile methods.
      > But the main topic is to "Investigate the role of trust in agile
      > methods".
      A basic trust must exist between an employer and an employee that
      the employee will do his job. Especially for programmers, the customer
      often doesn't have the technical skill to tell if the programmer did
      anything. Iterative methods, such as XP or scrum build trust between the
      customers and the programmers, because they require the programmers to
      deliver working software every iteration.
      Trust between programmers is necessary for the team to function, but
      it's not built by the daily stand-up. Pair Programming and Collective
      Code Ownership help build trust between the programmers, as does the
      fact that they are working together and will rapidly learn if they can
      rely on eachother.
      The daily stand-up is a common way to make sure that everyone is on
      the same page about what's going on, but it's not a trust-building tool.

      --Sean