Re: how can open-source projects work without programmer (unit) tests?

  • Julian Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "wpqstott" <will.stott@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm interested to know how an open-source project can work effectively
      > without requiring contributors to run some form of programmer tests on
      > code before checking it into a source code repository. Does anyone know
      > any open-source projects that don't require the use of this sort of
      > testing?

      It seems to me that most open source projects don't have formalised
      testing requirements like this. Generally, it seems that the model of
      operation that works for them is to have only a few trusted committers
      (or even one in some cases, e.g. the Linux kernel) who ensure there is
      a thorough peer review of any suggested changes. Then, unless
      trivial, new changes are typically released to an unstable version for
      user testing for some period. This seems to work well for many
      projects, although due to long periods of user testing I don't see it
      working for commercial software.