How are you doing 1-week iterations?

  • Michael Dubakov
    Message 1 of 51 , Nov 26, 2007
      We've recently switched to 1 week iterations.
      http://20.targetprocess.com/2007/11/yes-one-week-iterations-possible-in-web.html

      It will be good to hear other experience. Especially how do you
      implement QA during the iteration.
    • Simon Jones
      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 3, 2007
        <snip>

        > How complex is your domain? How are you finding, with Selenium
        tests:

        Reasonably complex in my previous incarnation. One internal product
        management system and a publicly facing corporate webshop and
        customer self-serve.

        > 1) Evolving the tests (or is your ui very stable)?
        Not too bad, but, as the UI changed quite a bit Selenium tests can
        become quite fragile. One of the ways we mitigated this was to use
        another web system (OpenACS) as a test producer. Because its TCL
        based manipulating text and creating dynamic pages is easy, so often
        Selenium tests became TCL web pages designed to dynamically generate
        the required selenium based on querying the application.

        > 2) Speed of running (and the impact on feedback time)?
        Can be slow yes.. Using firefox and a few tweaks helped though.

        > 3) Their value in thinking about the domain?
        This is where I think selenium wins and also where its useful when
        the UI is actually very important.

        Selenium is technical enough that you can do quite powerful things
        with it. Its simple enough that any tester can pick it up quite
        easily and its /visible/ enough that the customer can /see/ what the
        test is doing.

        Although Selenese tests can become quite time consuming to manage, in
        our case it was worth it becuase such importance was placed on the
        behaviour and appearance of the website under test. Things like
        whether certain text appeared, certain HTMl directives were in the
        page, certain flows behaved as expected were all quite high priority
        for our customer.

        But, from a personal POV I would highly recommend OpenACS as a pretty
        neat 'testing platform'. The TCL driven architecture (and AOLServer)
        were pretty much ahead of their time a few years ago, but they still
        perform quite well and most importantly its easy to build web stuff
        quickly... TCL always was a pretty good language for test
        development, even before agile.