Ron's Pearls of Wisdom

  • Simon Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
      Hi Ron,

      I'm always interested/amused/informed by those little quotes at the
      bottom of your emails and often wondered whether you agree with them
      all :)

      This one
      "Look to the master; Follow the master; Walk with the master;
      See through the master; Become the master. -- Modern Zen Poem"

      sounds very much like the more familiar
      Accept, Apply, Adapt.

      Do you think this should apply to someone learning XP? i.e. that one
      should only question the approach when one has mastered it in its
      current form?

      I do btw, and have always thought the AAA approach to be effective.
      Yet somehow rarely followed in the business of software ;)

      Simon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
        Hello, Simon. On Monday, November 26, 2007, at 10:30:30 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I'm always interested/amused/informed by those little quotes at the
        > bottom of your emails and often wondered whether you agree with them
        > all :)

        Pretty much. One of the reasons they are often so apt, even though
        they are selected randomly, is that I do agree with them.

        > This one
        > "Look to the master; Follow the master; Walk with the master;
        > See through the master; Become the master. -- Modern Zen Poem"

        > sounds very much like the more familiar
        > Accept, Apply, Adapt.

        Yes.

        > Do you think this should apply to someone learning XP? i.e. that one
        > should only question the approach when one has mastered it in its
        > current form?

        I think that it is best to do the practices by the book. Somewhere
        in those sigs, it says that. I think one should always question, one
        should always pay mindful attention to what is going on. But until
        an individual has done what we teach, as we teach it, I think they
        are ill-qualified to decide how to improve it.

        > I do btw, and have always thought the AAA approach to be effective.
        > Yet somehow rarely followed in the business of software ;)

        So many things we should do, so little real commitment to do them

        Without practice, no emergence. -- Dougen Zenji