Fowler's Continuous Intergration

  • chelck@ebsdr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2000
      We're looking to implement a build system like Martin Fowler describes in
      http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html. Before we
      start is anyone willing to share thier own scripts or code?

      Thanks,
      Chris Helck
    • Glen Stampoultzis
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2000
        >We're looking to implement a build system like Martin Fowler
        >describes in
        >http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html.
        >Before we start is anyone willing to share thier own scripts or
        >code?

        I've done a similar thing that was also inspired by the continuous
        integration article. Unfortunately I can't share my code (and to be
        honest I neglected to do the simplest thing which reduces it's value
        as general purpose code). I can share some advice which will be
        helpful only if your using Java.

        1. Use ant.

        It does most of what is needed already.

        2. Get it to spit out XML.

        This is easily done for both the build process and for running junit
        tests.

        3. Format the results using XSL.

        Again this can be done using ant. (Useful tool huh...)

        4. Email a shorter summary mail.

        The useful information to go in this mail can be:

        * A subject line containing whether the build succeeded, whether the
        tests passed and what time this happened. The body can contain a
        list of files commited since the last build.

        As to what to build:

        --> All code (from scratch)
        --> All jars
        --> All javadoc
        --> Distribution packages for development, acceptance & production.
        --> Simple metrics would be good if you have code to do that (I
        didn't).

        There's probably no reason why all this can't be done purely using a
        custom ant task or two. This would give the user the flexibily to
        string together the build process in any way they see fit.

        Hope this helps.

        -- Glen
      • Laurent Bossavit
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2000
          My reaction on reading the Continuous Integration article was an
          immediate "I want one of those too !". Plus, it gives me a *very*
          good argument against our staying with SourceSafe - no published API
          or protocol.

          OTOH, what version control tools are available that support such a
          process in a Java environment ? Martin and Matt mention StarTeam -
          but I got a little scared when I read on StarBase's site that they
          "[do] not publish pricing information on our website because we offer
          multi-tiered pricing depending on the specific configuration required
          by the customer". That's *got* to mean "expensive".

          I don't seem to remember the topic of version control tools coming up
          very often (or, in fact, at all) on the list. What are y'all using ?
          Can anyone recommend practical alternatives to SourceSafe, or
          StarTeam ?

          TIA,

          -[Morendil]-
          Life would be so simple if only we had the source code !
        • Peter Schrier & Narda Bergsma
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12, 2000
            Hi Laurent,

            I'm currentlky working with Perforce as the VCS. It works well, and behind the
            scenes it looks like they have expanded on CVS.
            The download is fully functional and free for 2 clients. For OpenSource
            developers they have a different pricing system (they are willing to let you
            use it for free, if I'm not mistaken).
            (see www.perforce.com)

            Regards
            Peter

            Quoting Laurent Bossavit <morendil@...>:

            > My reaction on reading the Continuous Integration article was an
            > immediate "I want one of those too !". Plus, it gives me a *very*
            > good argument against our staying with SourceSafe - no published API
            > or protocol.
            >
            > OTOH, what version control tools are available that support such a
            > process in a Java environment ? Martin and Matt mention StarTeam -
            > but I got a little scared when I read on StarBase's site that they
            > "[do] not publish pricing information on our website because we offer
            > multi-tiered pricing depending on the specific configuration required
            > by the customer". That's *got* to mean "expensive".
            >
            > I don't seem to remember the topic of version control tools coming up
            > very often (or, in fact, at all) on the list. What are y'all using ?
            > Can anyone recommend practical alternatives to SourceSafe, or
            > StarTeam ?
            >
            > TIA,
            >

            > -[Morendil]-
            > Life would be so simple if only we had the source code !

            > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

          • Paul Butcher
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12, 2000
              > I don't seem to remember the topic of version control tools coming up
              > very often (or, in fact, at all) on the list. What are y'all using ?
              > Can anyone recommend practical alternatives to SourceSafe, or
              > StarTeam ?

              I've recently been through an evaluation of source control and configuration
              management (combined source control and bug tracking) software here. I can't
              tell you which would be right for your organisation, but here's what we
              found.

              Source control only:

              There's really only one product worth considering, IMHO. Perforce. Its
              cross-platform support is excellent, it's *very* fast and best of all, it
              supports atomic check-ins of multiple files. We didn't choose it because we
              wanted an integrated source management and bug tracking solution (actually,
              Perforce does have sort-of bug tracking built-in, but it's very simplistic
              and even Perforce recommend that you use a separate bug tracking program).

              Combined source management and bug tracking:

              I'm aware of four players here. Merant (PVCS), Rational, StarTeam and
              Continuus. Of these, I've used StarTeam in a previous life and can
              definitely recommend it. It's not cheap, but it's comfortably cheaper than
              any of the other three. It wasn't right for us here, however, because its
              cross-platform support stinks (we develop on Linux, Solaris and W2K). If
              you're a Windows house, I'd definitely suggest that you check it out. If
              you're a UNIX house you'll need to look at one of the others.

              I bet you're wondering what we went for? Well, we rejected Perforce and
              StarTeam for the reasons mentioned above. We rejected Merant because I have
              a number of friends working at other organisations who use it, and not a
              single one of them had a good word to say about it. We rejected Rational
              because it was *scarily* expensive and needs a full-time admin to run it.
              That left us with Continuus.

              The Continuus consultants arrived a couple of weeks ago to install the
              software on our sever. After 3 days trying, they still hadn't got a working
              installation up and running :-( So we're still stuck with CVS and no bug
              tracking solution :-( :-(

              Aaarrgghh!!

              pbutcher->msgCount++

              --
              Snetterton, Cadwell Park, Castle Combe...
              Who says I have a one track mind?
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
                >(actually,
                > Perforce does have sort-of bug tracking built-in, but it's very
                simplistic
                > and even Perforce recommend that you use a separate bug tracking
                program).

                It might interest you that perforce is working on an integration for
                several bug tracking packages.

                We just have been through the eval, and the fact that this project is
                coming was enough to make us switch to perforce.

                Robert Blum