Re: [XP] Re: Question about Architecture

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 13, 2007
      marty.nelson wrote:
      > It's funny how in these discussions about architecture and design we
      > talk about how red/green/refactor replaces BUFD, but no-one every
      > mentions Shared System Metaphor (there I just did). For the most
      > part, I'm in the camp that believes the code *is* the design. But
      > for that intangible, etherly, je ne sait qua'ness I'll call
      > cohesiveness, I always look for how well team members can communicate
      > about the components and interactions in the code.
      >
      > I've often been in the midst of a conversation where just talking
      > about the design seems akward and the light bulb goes on and I
      > say "we need a better system metaphore for this part of the code."

      Excellent, Marty! While the metaphor concept doesn't seem to work for
      everyone, it's clear that code that holds together well is due to a
      shared understanding of how the system fits together. That could well
      be from reading an architectural design document--it's just that I've
      never seen that stick in people's minds. And they don't refer back to
      that document when their fingers are on the keyboard.

      A metaphor, even a "naive" one based on the problem domain, is
      incredibly powerful in helping humans hold complex designs in their
      minds. And that makes all the difference in the world.

      - George