Re: [XP] Stories for "Iceberg" Projects?

    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hello, Steve. On Friday, November 2, 2007, at 8:24:05 AM, you
      wrote:

      > By "iceberg" project, I mean one that has a small customer-facing
      > aspect but requires significant back-end development to support the
      > functionality seen by the customer. (If there's a better, or more
      > commonly used, term for this type of project, please let me know.)

      I don't know of a term, and I don't believe that such projects
      exist. Walk with me ...

      > We are currently considering two projects that have these
      > characteristics.

      > For example, one of the projects has a web-based user interface that
      > contains a single HTML table (investment performance of financial
      > instruments). The columns in the table represent the same type of data
      > computed over varying time ranges. The supporting code will be a
      > rewrite of existing functionality currently consisting of various
      > script-based hacks and manual activities performed by several
      > different people. The new code will be fully automated.

      As Chet and I discussed in Brighton today, the fact that there are
      "various" script hacks and manual activities performed by "several"
      people tells us that in fact there are user-understandable stories
      in this table. Think of removing one of those hacks, and ask why we
      can't. The answer, rephrase, is the story for that hack.

      > The second project also consists of a single web page and the customer
      > wants it to be visually identical to an existing page. However, they
      > want all the supporting data to come from a new data provider. The
      > new provider supports a subset of the functionality of the existing
      > data provider so we must write software to fill those functionality
      > gaps. However, the customer knows nothing about the technical issues
      > involved in filling those gaps. They just want the same page displayed
      > with data coming from the new provider.

      Same deal. For every field on the page, ask if you can remove it. If
      the answer is yes, remove it. If the answer is no, ask why not. The
      answer to that question is the story.

      > I'm wondering how other teams do XP planning for these types of
      > projects? The customer only has a few stories, but the supporting
      > technical work is extensive. I know that writing "engineering tasks"
      > are one potential solution, but that I'm concerned about having a
      > large number of engineering tasks and only a couple of user stories
      > for projects that will probably have durations of several months.

      I see no technically-driven work here. I see things that the
      customer needs and I believe that the customer knows why she needs
      them.

      Will Turner: This is either madness or brilliance.
      Captain Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 25, 2007
        Hello, David. On Sunday, November 25, 2007, at 3:21:58 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I'll quote one of the things I want to discuss at the Simple Design
        > and Testing conf sdtconf.com
        > Is there any situation that you can't deliver value on day two, of a
        > project? If so when is the first day you can deliver business value
        > that the customer recognizes? What prevents delivery on day two?
        > --DavidBogus

        > I have some ideas for this situation but I like to hear others first.

        Great topic! I bet Chet and I come to that session. Unless Angelina
        Jolie has a session at the same time.

        To follow the path:
        Look to the master; Follow the master; Walk with the master;
        See through the master; Become the master. -- Modern Zen Poem