Perceptions of Agile practitioners...

  • geoffrey_slinker
    Message 1 of 54 , Nov 2, 2007
      Recently there was a description of agile practitioners and how their
      behavior causes the failure of agile usage or adoption in organizations.

      Agile practitioners feel that they should not be held accountable for
      how they spend company time.

      Agile practitioners feel that the executive layer is filled with
      incompetence and that executives make technical decisions without
      sufficient knowledge to lead in technical areas. In other words, Bozos
      (clowns) who do things with no rhyme or reason.

      An Agile Team acts as an Island in that they intentionally cut
      themselves off and do not communicate or interact.

      An Agile Team acts as if it is superior to other teams in the
      organization.

      Agile practitioners first response to any "agile failure" is that "it
      wasn't really agile because you didn't do...blah blah blah".

      Agile promoters are condescending and treat doubters, questioners,
      skeptics, detractors, and disputers as if they have no right to
      question. Some have compared it to religion.

      I use the term Agilista to describe someone I feel is overly dogmatic
      and who blindly follow the steps and practices of Agile methods
      without understand why the step or practice exists.

      Have you seen such behaviors and attitudes? How have these caused the
      failure of agile adoption or execution? What are some suggestions to
      improve the situation?

      Geoff
    • Kent Beck
      Message 54 of 54 , Nov 13, 2007
        Geoff,

        I have heard these criticisms as well. As a community we are not perceived
        as open, transparent, accepting, engaging, accountable, and responsible. I
        have seen XP teams and practitioners that were open, transparent, accepting,
        engaging, accountable, and responsible and others that were not. What I am
        doing about this perception is first trying to make sure that my own
        behavior matches what I wish the perception to be and then talking about my
        experiences and struggles. In my experience, if I want to be thought of one
        way but many people are telling they perceive me another way, telling them
        they are wrong is not a useful strategy.

        Regards,

        Kent Beck
        Three Rivers Institute

        _____