Re: [XP] Stories for "Iceberg" Projects?

  • David Nicol
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 2, 2007
      On 11/2/07, Steve Bate <steve@...> wrote:

      > The second project also consists of a single web page and the customer
      > wants it to be visually identical to an existing page. However, they
      > want all the supporting data to come from a new data provider. The
      > new provider supports a subset of the functionality of the existing
      > data provider so we must write software to fill those functionality
      > gaps. However, the customer knows nothing about the technical issues
      > involved in filling those gaps. They just want the same page displayed
      > with data coming from the new provider.

      It seems to be that a reasonable approach would be to attempt to educate the
      customer about why their request is tricker than it seems, and offer to quickly
      prepare a similar page with the data that the new provider actually offers, and
      then a pay-as-you-go basis for adding in the generated items, with the customer
      driving the prioritization.

      --
      The goal of the consumer is to avoid hearing from the advertiser. --
      Seth Godin, IdeavirusReadandShare.pdf 2000
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 25, 2007
        Hello, David. On Sunday, November 25, 2007, at 3:21:58 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I'll quote one of the things I want to discuss at the Simple Design
        > and Testing conf sdtconf.com
        > Is there any situation that you can't deliver value on day two, of a
        > project? If so when is the first day you can deliver business value
        > that the customer recognizes? What prevents delivery on day two?
        > --DavidBogus

        > I have some ideas for this situation but I like to hear others first.

        Great topic! I bet Chet and I come to that session. Unless Angelina
        Jolie has a session at the same time.

        To follow the path:
        Look to the master; Follow the master; Walk with the master;
        See through the master; Become the master. -- Modern Zen Poem