Re: [XP] Starting along the coaching path

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
      Congrats, Mike.

      A good source of strategies is Fearless Change is
      http://www.cs.unca.edu/~manns/intropatterns.html . You might also consider
      taking a Scrum Masters Certification Class (not for the certification, but
      for what you could learn in just a couple of days).

      It is very important to think of your mission as an agile project. Do not
      try big upfront planning of the whole campaign. Instead, just establish
      initial specific goals for the first "iteration", work to achieve them,
      reflect on how it went with all the stakeholders, and repeat.

      The goals for each "iteration" should be based on reaching concensus with
      developers, customers and managers on:
      - what are the few most painful symptoms at your company (just a few),
      - measuring the current state of those symptoms, and
      - specific measurable improvements in those areas (initially, for just a few
      specific projects).

      Then, work collaboratively with everyone to make the improvements happen,
      reflect, replan and repeat.

      Steven Gordon

      On 11/2/07, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I'm in a fairly strange but encouraging position. I've recently took on
      > a new position internally as a fledgling Xp/Agile "Champion" and
      > eventually as a coach and trainer. I've been writing software for 30+
      > years (+ too many at this point) and while I'm fully infused with the
      > Kool-Ade, I'm really at a bit of a loss as to how to start as I've only
      > ever done Agile programming work in isolation.
      >
      > I came to TDD a few years ago and it was a truly bloody battle. The
      > result is that I'm pretty passionate about it, but frankly I still get
      > stumped a little easily.
      >
      > We had John Cunningham here last week for a couple days to give a brain
      > dump to the relatively new guys. But in the past we've had the also
      > delightful company of Mike Feathers, Mike Hill and Bob Martin. So it's
      > not a new concept being mandated from on high. It's something people
      > are at least marginally curious about. We have our curmudgeons
      >
      > As I see it so far the point where I can have the most effect today is
      > in keeping enthusiasm up and greasing the wheels. We really want the
      > concept to prove itself.
      >
      > Any thoughts on how to proceed, where to go for more information on the
      > evangelical side of things?
      >
      > - Mike
      >

      > -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
      > This message is for the named person's use only. This communication is for
      > informational purposes only and has been obtained from sources believed to
      > be reliable, but it is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
      > guaranteed. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the
      > purchase
      > or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
      > transaction. Moreover, this material should not be construed to contain
      > any
      > recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any security. It may
      > contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
      > confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If
      > you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
      > copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify
      > the
      > sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
      > print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
      > recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
      > sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is
      > authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.
      >
      > Securities products and services provided to Canadian investors are
      > offered
      > by ITG Canada Corp. (member CIPF and IDA), an affiliate of Investment
      > Technology Group, Inc.
      >
      > ITG Inc. and/or its affiliates reserves the right to monitor and archive
      > all electronic communications through its network.

    • Wilson, Michael
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
        I'm definitely not interested in shoving things down someone's throat in
        the way that "evangelical" perhaps implied. Nobody could've convinced
        me that it was the thing to do until I tried it myself and I certainly
        don't expect anybody else to believe it's a good way to do things just
        because someone told them so. These guys are smarter than that.

        Not impolite at all. Yeah, the fact that I get excited about writing
        assembler code for different processors and may be the only person
        (certainly that I know) who would rather work in c++ than any of these
        java/python/ruby languages probably means I'm pretty damn geeky (not to
        mention pig-headed beyond all reckoning.) Gregarious enough to be fit
        to the task I think.

        I think I understand the people I'm dealing with pretty well. It's new
        stuff to most of them and they don't know where to start.

        Some of the problems have to do with the odd stubborn hold-out here or
        there. There's the standard business-side faux adoption in a couple
        places "Xp was supposed to help me get software faster, so why is this
        taking so long? Xp's a bunch of c***!" And that's an easy to understand
        case of silver-bulletitis.

        Yeah, I'm a big fan of the old chinese books myself.

        - M

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
          Nice resource, thanks. Yay Amazon.

          "reaching concensus with developeres, customers and managers"

          sure sounds Sysephean.

          But then that's BDUF thinking anyway. I suppose.

          My old team (where I was for a year and a half) I think is best primed.
          If we can get a solid real-world example of the benefits then I think
          that will really carry far more weight than having someone in the
          explicit role I have, which necessarily causes suspicion among the
          cagey.

          The only problem is that it's fundamentally a gui team so TDD, FIT
          testing, etc. are really though to implement. But they're also the most
          enthusiastic.

          I've certainly got my work cut out for me.

          - M

          A good source of strategies is Fearless Change is
          http://www.cs.unca.edu/~manns/intropatterns.html . You might also
          consider taking a Scrum Masters Certification Class (not for the
          certification, but for what you could learn in just a couple of days).

          It is very important to think of your mission as an agile project. Do
          not try big upfront planning of the whole campaign. Instead, just
          establish initial specific goals for the first "iteration", work to
          achieve them, reflect on how it went with all the stakeholders, and
          repeat.

          The goals for each "iteration" should be based on reaching concensus
          with developers, customers and managers on:
          - what are the few most painful symptoms at your company (just a few),
          - measuring the current state of those symptoms, and
          - specific measurable improvements in those areas (initially, for just a
          few specific projects).

          Then, work collaboratively with everyone to make the improvements
          happen, reflect, replan and repeat.

          Steven Gordon

          On 11/2/07, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

          > Morning everyone o/
          >
          > I'm in a fairly strange but encouraging position. I've recently took
          > on a new position internally as a fledgling Xp/Agile "Champion" and
          > eventually as a coach and trainer. I've been writing software for 30+
          > years (+ too many at this point) and while I'm fully infused with the
          > Kool-Ade, I'm really at a bit of a loss as to how to start as I've
          > only ever done Agile programming work in isolation.
          >
          > I came to TDD a few years ago and it was a truly bloody battle. The
          > result is that I'm pretty passionate about it, but frankly I still get

          > stumped a little easily.
          >
          > We had John Cunningham here last week for a couple days to give a
          > brain dump to the relatively new guys. But in the past we've had the
          > also delightful company of Mike Feathers, Mike Hill and Bob Martin. So

          > it's not a new concept being mandated from on high. It's something
          > people are at least marginally curious about. We have our curmudgeons
          >
          > As I see it so far the point where I can have the most effect today is

          > in keeping enthusiasm up and greasing the wheels. We really want the
          > concept to prove itself.
          >
          > Any thoughts on how to proceed, where to go for more information on
          > the evangelical side of things?
          >
          > - Mike

          -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
          -+-

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
            On 11/2/07, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

            > Nice resource, thanks. Yay Amazon.
            >
            > "reaching concensus with developeres, customers and managers"
            >
            > sure sounds Sysephean.
            >
            > But then that's BDUF thinking anyway. I suppose.

            The key difference is that under agile you should be reaching
            concensus for what the goals over a fairly short period of time, and
            then reaching a new concensus after each such time period based on
            what has happened since.

            For organizational transformations, 2 week iterations might be too
            short but 1 or 2 months might not be too short to assess progress and
            reconsider the goals and strategies.

            > My old team (where I was for a year and a half) I think is best primed.
            > If we can get a solid real-world example of the benefits then I think
            > that will really carry far more weight than having someone in the
            > explicit role I have, which necessarily causes suspicion among the
            > cagey.
            >
            > The only problem is that it's fundamentally a gui team so TDD, FIT
            > testing, etc. are really though to implement. But they're also the most
            > enthusiastic.
            >
            > I've certainly got my work cut out for me.
            >
            > - M

          • Matt Heusser
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
              Ditto to Steve Gordon on the Scrum stuff. If you don't have training money
              for a Scrum course, I would point out that you can get a *lot* out of just
              reading the first book. (Black cover, words that are colors on it.)

              Although you can try the "Let's try (process X) on this pilot project", I've
              had a lot of success with simply running projects that focus more on the
              left side of the agile manifesto that the right.

              Don't ask permission - just do it. Schedule a daily stand-up. Plan the
              schedule to build something periodically, in priority order. Get buy-in
              from the developers on estimates. Build in thin slices, end-to-end.
              Automate Unit tests. Focus on conversations (capture them with a voice
              recorder if you must), examples, and lots of white board time. Get your team
              dedicated to one project and all in one room. And so on.

              Do one thing, do it well, have people see and feel the success, and then
              move on to the next.

              One final note: There are certain key words in United States culture that
              can throw conversation off. For example: "Drinking the Kool Aid" is
              actually a reference to a tragic, cultic suicide in the 1970's. It is *not*
              considered a good thing. Likewise, US citizens may respond to the term
              "evangelizing" in a strong negative way, because we associate it with
              genuine religion.

              I should say that these problems exist for both against Americans and for
              them. For example, google "Presentation Zen." In oriental cultures that
              take Zen seriously, it might be a real conversation stopper. (Would you go
              to talk on "Christian C++"?)

              My suspicion is that a few of these terms are making the conversation harder
              than it needs to be, so I suggest we have covered that, let's get back to
              helping the new coach!

              Regards,

              --
              Matthew Heusser,
              Blog: http://xndev.blogspot.com

            • Charlie Poole
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                Hi Mike,

                > I'm in a fairly strange but encouraging position. I've
                > recently took on a new position internally as a fledgling
                > Xp/Agile "Champion" and eventually as a coach and trainer.
                > I've been writing software for 30+ years (+ too many at this
                > point) and while I'm fully infused with the Kool-Ade, I'm
                > really at a bit of a loss as to how to start as I've only
                > ever done Agile programming work in isolation.

                Getting people to work as teams will be a challenge for you
                then. Make lemonade: tell the teams you work with about your
                limitations and ask them to help you figure it out. A coach
                does not have to know everything.

                > I came to TDD a few years ago and it was a truly bloody
                > battle. The result is that I'm pretty passionate about it,
                > but frankly I still get stumped a little easily.
                >
                > We had John Cunningham here last week for a couple days to
                > give a brain dump to the relatively new guys. But in the
                > past we've had the also delightful company of Mike Feathers,
                > Mike Hill and Bob Martin. So it's not a new concept being
                > mandated from on high. It's something people are at least
                > marginally curious about. We have our curmudgeons

                Even the curmudgeons are valuable - or maybe especially. :-)

                > As I see it so far the point where I can have the most effect
                > today is in keeping enthusiasm up and greasing the wheels.
                > We really want the concept to prove itself.
                >
                > Any thoughts on how to proceed, where to go for more
                > information on the evangelical side of things?

                As others have said, don't be "evangelical" about it at all.

                Make sure everyone understands that management wants agility,
                defined in terms of agile output, not in terms of the steps
                we take to create that output.

                Make sure each team is empowered and responsible to invent
                their own agile practices and make sure they understand that
                you're their to help them do it, not to tell them how.

                Avoid the apparent shortcut of just establishing "standard
                practices."

                For everything you do, leave the team a degree of freedom
                in the details. For example, if you are working on pair
                programming as a practice, force a group decision on the
                exact rules - for your project - of which tasks call for
                pairing an which don't.

                If you really think there is only one right way to do
                something, say so, but invent a way to leave people a bit of
                freedom in how they implement it. The degree of difference
                between their implementation and your "perfect" version is
                likely to be small, while the difference between practices
                that are owned by the team and those that are just given
                (or taught) to them can be quite large.

                If you get into trouble, don't be afraid to ask for help.
                Consider bringin in an experienced coach to mentor you
                in your own coaching - but don't let that person take over
                coaching the team.

                Charlie

                > - Mike
                >

                > -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                > -+-+-+-+-+-+-
                > This message is for the named person's use only. This
                > communication is for informational purposes only and has been
                > obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but it is not
                > necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
                > It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the
                > purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an
                > official confirmation of any transaction. Moreover, this
                > material should not be construed to contain any
                > recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any
                > security. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally
                > privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is
                > waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this
                > message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies
                > of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
                > notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
                > disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
                > if you are not the intended recipient. Any views expressed
                > in this message are those of the individual sender, except
                > where the message states otherwise and the sender is
                > authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.
                >
                > Securities products and services provided to Canadian
                > investors are offered by ITG Canada Corp. (member CIPF and
                > IDA), an affiliate of Investment Technology Group, Inc.
                >
                > ITG Inc. and/or its affiliates reserves the right to monitor
                > and archive all electronic communications through its network.
                >
                > ITG Inc. Member NASD, SIPC

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ilja Preuss
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                  Steven Gordon wrote:
                  > Congrats, Mike.
                  >
                  > A good source of strategies is Fearless Change is
                  > http://www.cs.unca.edu/~manns/intropatterns.html .

                  Seconded. Great book!

                  Cheers, Ilja
                • William Pietri
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                    Wilson, Michael wrote:
                    > My old team (where I was for a year and a half) I think is best primed.
                    > If we can get a solid real-world example of the benefits then I think
                    > that will really carry far more weight than having someone in the
                    > explicit role I have, which necessarily causes suspicion among the
                    > cagey.

                    This is a good instinct to have. Being able to say "Come and see how we
                    are working" is so much better received than "I think you should do X".

                    > The only problem is that it's fundamentally a gui team so TDD, FIT
                    > testing, etc. are really though to implement. But they're also the most
                    > enthusiastic.
                    >
                    > I've certainly got my work cut out for me.

                    My big tip is to get people into an experimental mindset.

                    First you get the team's observations on what the problems are, as
                    people are most likely to change in response to perceived pain. For
                    example, maybe the problem is last-minute discovery of missed deadlines,
                    which makes everybody annoyed and disheartened.

                    Then you jointly come up with as many hypotheses as possible about what
                    might fix that. E.g., daily standups; a shared engineering task board; a
                    burn-down chart; a detailed MS Project plan for all tasks.

                    Then everybody jointly picks one hypothesis to try for a limited time.
                    You can steer them in the direction of the ones that are the most agile,
                    or the lowest cost to implement.

                    Once they've started to try it, support them, keep asking them how it's
                    going, and draw their attention to things they may be too close to
                    notice. Eventually they'll either accept it or reject it.

                    The reason I think this approach is important is that a lot of people
                    tend to think of process changes as permanent. They will thus fiercely
                    resist any change that might not be perfect. But if they truly believe
                    the real decision will come later, and that they'll be involved, then
                    they will be much more willing to try something new.

                    William

                    --
                    William Pietri - william@... - +1-415-643-1024
                    Agile consulting, coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Charlie,

                      > Even the curmudgeons are valuable - or maybe especially. :-)

                      This is actually my biggest visible problem. We have a single
                      programmer who is the original author and he's been on the team since it
                      was a team of one. When anything XP comes up in conversation he carps,
                      rolls his eyes and shuts it down. He seems to have almost perfectly
                      poisoned the well against new adoption.

                      So... what value? I'd really love to find some but I just feel
                      thwarted.

                      - Mike

                      -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
[...]

                    • Chris Wheeler
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                        On Nov 5, 2007 10:25 AM, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

                        > Charlie,
                        >
                        > > Even the curmudgeons are valuable - or maybe especially. :-)
                        >
                        > This is actually my biggest visible problem. We have a single
                        > programmer who is the original author and he's been on the team since it
                        > was a team of one. When anything XP comes up in conversation he carps,
                        > rolls his eyes and shuts it down. He seems to have almost perfectly
                        > poisoned the well against new adoption.
                        >
                        > So... what value? I'd really love to find some but I just feel
                        > thwarted.

                        Are you introducing XP for some specific reason, or are you doing it 'just
                        because...'? Without an identifiable reason to introduce it, this person is
                        well within rights to not bother with it.

                        Chris.

                      • Steven Gordon
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Not Charlie, but:

                          It would be worse if this programmer was only doing this when you were
                          not around.

                          Now, you know who you have to win over. Take him to lunch and find
                          out what problems he sees with how thing have been done in the past
                          (this is why gaining consensus on what the current problems are is
                          critical before making any changes).

                          Then try to make a bet: if any change does not makes things better
                          after a month, you will agree to support rolling back that change, but
                          if any change does make things better, he agrees to accpet the change.
                          Given that he is the most skeptical person, if he starts accepting
                          the changes that make things better, everyone else will, too.

                          Then you have to do what it takes to motivate the changes that will
                          actually make things visibly better.

                          Steve

                          On Nov 5, 2007 8:25 AM, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

                          > Charlie,
                          >
                          > > Even the curmudgeons are valuable - or maybe especially. :-)
                          >
                          > This is actually my biggest visible problem. We have a single
                          > programmer who is the original author and he's been on the team since it
                          > was a team of one. When anything XP comes up in conversation he carps,
                          > rolls his eyes and shuts it down. He seems to have almost perfectly
                          > poisoned the well against new adoption.
                          >
                          > So... what value? I'd really love to find some but I just feel
                          > thwarted.
                          >
                          > - Mike

                        • Wilson, Michael
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                            > Are you introducing XP for some specific reason, or are you doing it
                            'just because...'? Without an identifiable reason to introduce it, this
                            > person is well within rights to not bother with it.

                            Around the organization teams are moving at their own rates towards Xp.
                            People who've adopted it really love it. Our QA teams have embraced it
                            very well and love the idea of FIT and other forms of automated testing
                            (what QA person wouldn't?) It's only slightly exaggerated to say
                            "Everything here is moving in that direction."

                            Most of the classic software mismanagement issues are biting this team
                            really badly.

                            - A release date hasn't been met in ... it might actually be years.
                            - features are shipped half-baked.
                            - Requirements are very poorly defined.
                            - There are frequent "oops" patch releases. (average of one or more per
                            normal feature release.)
                            - When a release does go out nobody's exactly sure what was in it.
                            - Schedule slips are taken out of, you guessed it, testing and QA time
                            leading to frequent "No Go" releases.
                            - Confidence from the business is through the floor.

                            This project BEGs for an agile approach as do most of the people
                            involved with it ("begs" might be a bit too strong, but not as much as
                            you might think.) It would be one thing if it was all waterfally (or ad
                            hoc, which is closer to the truth) and everything was going fine. But
                            it's not. It's the eyeroller project.

                            Unfortunately none of this seems important to my buddy (actually it's
                            not a mystery, he's said exactly that.) He just sees it all as noise
                            that goes on around him that's a part of the normal process. He just
                            comes in, does his thing and leaves, with seemingly no attachment to the
                            larger scope at all. "People just need to relax." *sigh*

                            My tact has really been to work with the rest of the team and the dev
                            manager as much as I can just to create the team dynamic forward
                            pressure. It's a little early to say if it's working.

                            There's a reason it's my *old* team. ;-)

                            -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                              One problem is that he doesn't see the slightest problem. It's all just
                              the standard noise of doing software development to him.

                              I was going the other route. Cherry pick the people who are interested
                              and self motivated to create upward momentum. Let the team dynamic do
                              as much of the heavy lifting as possible. Otherwise I feel like I'm
                              playing HR guy.

                              Or am I just skirting the possibility of a confrontation and phrasing it
                              cleverly to myself? ;-)

                              - M

                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                If management has decided to not accept this team's performance any
                                longer and this person does not accept that there are even any
                                performance problems, then management will have to insist that this
                                person choose between being part of the problem or part of the
                                solution.

                                As coach you are not in a position to make such an ultimatum. The
                                best you might be able to do is to marginalize him by asking for
                                permission to form a new team from the people who care about improving
                                performance, and just work with this new team.

                                On Nov 5, 2007 9:34 AM, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

                                > One problem is that he doesn't see the slightest problem. It's all just
                                > the standard noise of doing software development to him.
                                >
                                > I was going the other route. Cherry pick the people who are interested
                                > and self motivated to create upward momentum. Let the team dynamic do
                                > as much of the heavy lifting as possible. Otherwise I feel like I'm
                                > playing HR guy.
                                >
                                > Or am I just skirting the possibility of a confrontation and phrasing it
                                > cleverly to myself? ;-)
                                >
                                > - M

                              • Wilson, Michael
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                  a HA! I see I've now codified my position effectively enough that I'm
                                  seeing what I expected to see which is either a success or failure on my
                                  part. I'm never sure which.

                                  You've done the wonderful conversational task of restating something in
                                  a way that gives me a couple good solid ideas.

                                  Most of this team is new, including the manager. He is fairly big on
                                  not having full team meetings and instead just bringing a couple people
                                  to the table at a time depending on the issue. And this is for
                                  fact-finding stuff not exclusionary work assignments, which go the
                                  normal Xp route. I think he does it as a method of avoiding
                                  committee-itis.

                                  Yeah, I've gotta roll this around in my head a bit.

                                  Thanks,

                                  - Mike

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                    Try to get the manager to read the first Scrum book

                                    On Nov 5, 2007 9:58 AM, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

                                    > a HA! I see I've now codified my position effectively enough that I'm
                                    > seeing what I expected to see which is either a success or failure on my
                                    > part. I'm never sure which.
                                    >
                                    > You've done the wonderful conversational task of restating something in
                                    > a way that gives me a couple good solid ideas.
                                    >
                                    > Most of this team is new, including the manager. He is fairly big on
                                    > not having full team meetings and instead just bringing a couple people
                                    > to the table at a time depending on the issue. And this is for
                                    > fact-finding stuff not exclusionary work assignments, which go the
                                    > normal Xp route. I think he does it as a method of avoiding
                                    > committee-itis.
                                    >
                                    > Yeah, I've gotta roll this around in my head a bit.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > - Mike

                                  • Chris Wheeler
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                      On Nov 5, 2007 11:29 AM, Wilson, Michael <michael.wilson@...> wrote:

                                      > Most of the classic software mismanagement issues are biting this team
                                      > really badly.
                                      >
                                      > - A release date hasn't been met in ... it might actually be years.
                                      > - features are shipped half-baked.
                                      > - Requirements are very poorly defined.
                                      > - There are frequent "oops" patch releases. (average of one or more per
                                      > normal feature release.)
                                      > - When a release does go out nobody's exactly sure what was in it.
                                      > - Schedule slips are taken out of, you guessed it, testing and QA time
                                      > leading to frequent "No Go" releases.
                                      > - Confidence from the business is through the floor.

                                      Has XP fixed all of these problems on other projects, and do you have proof
                                      of it (iow, can you show your friend the before/after picture, concretely,
                                      or do you only have a gut feel to go on? If it's gut feel, all guts are made
                                      equally.)

                                      Chris.

                                    • geoffrey_slinker
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Wheeler"
                                        <christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

                                        > or do you only have a gut feel to go on? If it's gut feel, all guts
                                        are made
                                        > equally.)

                                        All guts are not made equally. When I used to be involved heavily into
                                        illegal street racing my gut feel on a vibration or sound from my
                                        280ZX was a much better gut feel than an a passenger or the local
                                        mechanic. So for the Chevelle and the '57 Chevy pick-up with 456 gears
                                        and a 283 for 1/8th mile races.

                                        Gut feels are seldom just guesses. That's my gut feel on it.

                                        Geoff
                                      • Wilson, Michael
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                          He just doesn't have the personal investment for that approach to lead
                                          anywhere. "Negative pressure" has historically achieved very little in
                                          this rather particular regard.

                                          So far it looks likethe most effective thing I can do is work with the
                                          people who are interested.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                            Wilson, Michael wrote:
                                            > Unfortunately none of this seems important to my buddy (actually it's
                                            > not a mystery, he's said exactly that.) He just sees it all as noise
                                            > that goes on around him that's a part of the normal process. He just
                                            > comes in, does his thing and leaves, with seemingly no attachment to the
                                            > larger scope at all. "People just need to relax." *sigh*

                                            Do you feel that he's burnt out? Or merely skeptical?

                                            Honestly, I now love the skeptics. Some of the best practitioners I have
                                            trained were initially the most skeptical. Their strength of character
                                            works against you in the beginning, but strongly for you once they see
                                            actual value.

                                            If he's burnt out, though, that's a big issue. In my experience the
                                            number one motivator for change is perceived pain. If he no longer
                                            notices that things suck, or if he is too tired to care, or if he is
                                            deeply disengaged, then I don't think it's too dramatic to say that he
                                            could wreck the team.

                                            Some possible strategies:

                                            Reconnect him to the pain others are feeling. If some people are unhappy
                                            with the team's poor record, bring them around for a discussion with the
                                            team. This does not have to involve yelling, and should certainly not
                                            include finger-pointing. It's much better if people just talk openly but
                                            sincerely about the negative consequences of the team's poor
                                            performance. And not just the business consequences, but how it makes
                                            them feel. They can share their pain.

                                            Place him in extended close contact to somebody who really cares about
                                            the project. One of the things I like best about war rooms is working
                                            with product managers who really care about their products. When they
                                            are excited or sad, I can't help but feel some of what they feel. That
                                            helps me care myself.

                                            Give him a break. If he's burnt out, some serious time off may help him
                                            recover and get perspective. But it has to be a real break, like a month
                                            in a quiet Mexican seaside town, or a few weeks hiking the Pacific Crest
                                            Trail. No pager, no calls into work, no frenetic tours. Just rest and a
                                            chance to become himself again.

                                            Move him into in an advisory role for a while. Find him an office on the
                                            other side of the building. Give him some non-urgent things to research.
                                            Or let him pick some. Let the team come to him when they need his
                                            advice, but otherwise give him an in-office vacation, so he can
                                            disengage for a while. Once the team is running smoothly and he is
                                            recovered, the difference should be both obvious and appealing to him.

                                            Sorry to go on at such length, but I've seen people like that either
                                            destroy agile adoptions or get fired. Or, worse, both. None of those
                                            outcomes appeals to me much.

                                            I hope that helps. Please let us know how it goes!

                                            William

                                            --
                                            William Pietri - william@... - +1-415-643-1024
                                            Agile consulting, coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/
                                            Instant video gratification: http://www.sidereel.com/
                                          • Wilson, Michael
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                              He just seems, to quote a particularly juicy LA Law episode,
                                              "Overwrought with ambivalence." As though he's just marking time at a
                                              job as good or bad as any other.

                                              I almost wish I had the power to explore some of those options. I
                                              really like a lot of those ideas (hell I may do some of those myself.)
                                              But I'm really just a interdepartmental advocate too far outside the org
                                              structure to have any reasonable input at that level.

                                              I was a developer on that team for over a year and found his obstinance
                                              intractable and it figured largely in my original desire to resign,
                                              having tried everything I knew how to try. The opportunity to move in
                                              to this role came as quite a shock. I had put in my two weeks notice
                                              and it was my 2nd to last day. The irony that it's the first team I'm
                                              working with really helps me appreciate the sense of humor inherent in
                                              the divine plan ;)

                                              If he watches it working on his project I think he'll come around. He's
                                              obstinant but he's smart enough to be beyond disregarding and I've
                                              watched him fight tooth and nail for his point of view on other stuff
                                              then change his mind, genuinely convinced when the reality of the
                                              situation became obvious.

                                              One of the big trials about this project in particular is that it's a
                                              gui. It's "just" a gui. There really isn't so much "separating
                                              business logic" that can happen. A lot of the code-time practices of Xp
                                              (TDD most notably) become very very difficult. Finding suitable targets
                                              for FIT acceptance testing, things like that. So seeing it work on a
                                              server-side app is deemed largely irrelevant.

                                              coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/ Instant video

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                                Wilson, Michael wrote:
                                                > He just seems, to quote a particularly juicy LA Law episode,
                                                > "Overwrought with ambivalence." As though he's just marking time at a
                                                > job as good or bad as any other.

                                                Nice phrase!

                                                When I've been in that state, it was a defensive posture. I tried
                                                caring, but things were too awful to actually care about. So I refused
                                                to engage. I hope he manages to escape!

                                                > But I'm really just a interdepartmental advocate too far outside the org
                                                > structure to have any reasonable input at that level.

                                                Well, there's power and there's power. I hear the book "Getting It Done:
                                                How to Lead When You're Not in Charge" has some good tips around that.

                                                > I was a developer on that team for over a year and found his obstinance
                                                > intractable and it figured largely in my original desire to resign,
                                                > having tried everything I knew how to try. The opportunity to move in
                                                > to this role came as quite a shock. I had put in my two weeks notice
                                                > and it was my 2nd to last day. The irony that it's the first team I'm
                                                > working with really helps me appreciate the sense of humor inherent in
                                                > the divine plan

                                                Have you told him or his manager this? I'm not suggesting you do it in
                                                an accusatory way. More like: "Hey, you have these behaviors. You may
                                                not know how they makes people feel. In fact, I hid my feelings from you
                                                because I didn't want to look weak. But let me tell you about my
                                                experience."

                                                He might just scoff, of course. But odds are he didn't mean to almost
                                                drive you out of the company. So if you can, as the therapists say, own
                                                your feelings during the discussion, you may be able to wake him up to
                                                things a little.

                                                > If he watches it working on his project I think he'll come around. He's
                                                > obstinant but he's smart enough to be beyond disregarding and I've
                                                > watched him fight tooth and nail for his point of view on other stuff
                                                > then change his mind, genuinely convinced when the reality of the
                                                > situation became obvious.

                                                That's a great sign. With somebody like that, the, "let's try an
                                                experiment for a month" approach can work well. If you can turn his
                                                powers of analysis toward tinkering with the process, you may be able to
                                                hook him on continuous improvement. That's what happened to me, and
                                                seven years later I'm still hooked.

                                                > One of the big trials about this project in particular is that it's a
                                                > gui. It's "just" a gui.

                                                I know very little about modern thick-client GUIs, but there are plenty
                                                here with experience. Once you get into that, feel free to start a
                                                thread on that.

                                                Good luck with your new role!

                                                William

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 10, 2007
                                                  Hi Michael,

                                                  > > Even the curmudgeons are valuable - or maybe especially. :-)
                                                  >
                                                  > This is actually my biggest visible problem. We have a
                                                  > single programmer who is the original author and he's been on
                                                  > the team since it was a team of one. When anything XP comes
                                                  > up in conversation he carps, rolls his eyes and shuts it
                                                  > down. He seems to have almost perfectly poisoned the well
                                                  > against new adoption.

                                                  Sorry for the late reply... I've been at a conference this week
                                                  and haven't had much time to think about this question.

                                                  I'll tell you what I might do in this situation, with the proviso
                                                  that it may not work for you, particularly if both you and the
                                                  "curmudgeon" are clearly established as opponents. But it might.

                                                  I would offer something like this: "Obviously, we have to be
                                                  careful as we begin to adopt new practices. You are someone
                                                  who isn't afraid to speak up when the an idea does't make sense.
                                                  I'd like you to keep doing this, but with greater focus on
                                                  improving our implementation. You'll be our official
                                                  Devil's Advocate. I know that any set of practices that we
                                                  end up adopting will be better for incorporating your ideas."

                                                  As I suggested at the start, YMMV.

                                                  Charlie