Stories for "Iceberg" Projects?

  • Steve Bate
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 2, 2007
      By "iceberg" project, I mean one that has a small customer-facing
      aspect but requires significant back-end development to support the
      functionality seen by the customer. (If there's a better, or more
      commonly used, term for this type of project, please let me know.)

      We are currently considering two projects that have these
      characteristics.

      For example, one of the projects has a web-based user interface that
      contains a single HTML table (investment performance of financial
      instruments). The columns in the table represent the same type of data
      computed over varying time ranges. The supporting code will be a
      rewrite of existing functionality currently consisting of various
      script-based hacks and manual activities performed by several
      different people. The new code will be fully automated.

      The second project also consists of a single web page and the customer
      wants it to be visually identical to an existing page. However, they
      want all the supporting data to come from a new data provider. The
      new provider supports a subset of the functionality of the existing
      data provider so we must write software to fill those functionality
      gaps. However, the customer knows nothing about the technical issues
      involved in filling those gaps. They just want the same page displayed
      with data coming from the new provider.

      I'm wondering how other teams do XP planning for these types of
      projects? The customer only has a few stories, but the supporting
      technical work is extensive. I know that writing "engineering tasks"
      are one potential solution, but that I'm concerned about having a
      large number of engineering tasks and only a couple of user stories
      for projects that will probably have durations of several months.

      Steve
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 25, 2007
        Hello, David. On Sunday, November 25, 2007, at 3:21:58 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I'll quote one of the things I want to discuss at the Simple Design
        > and Testing conf sdtconf.com
        > Is there any situation that you can't deliver value on day two, of a
        > project? If so when is the first day you can deliver business value
        > that the customer recognizes? What prevents delivery on day two?
        > --DavidBogus

        > I have some ideas for this situation but I like to hear others first.

        Great topic! I bet Chet and I come to that session. Unless Angelina
        Jolie has a session at the same time.

        To follow the path:
        Look to the master; Follow the master; Walk with the master;
        See through the master; Become the master. -- Modern Zen Poem