Re: [XP] Honoring Personal Development Time - Update

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 89 , Oct 30, 2007
      Just let me amplify that: while I was off having too much fun doing Python and Linux and other goodness, I skipped the whole Java and .NET movements. I emerge on the other side and return to consulting, and I have a lot of catch-up to do. I'm trying to get all the old tech under my belt along with new stuff.

      It's what I tell my kids: If you don't get behind, you don't have to catch up.

      tim

      Message 89 of 89 , Nov 4, 2007
        All,

        It seems to me that the important issue in the original story is intent:
        were the people who we are discussing trying to learn something or were they
        knowingly and secretly breaking the social contract to get more work done in
        this iteration. That is something you can only find out by asking them. If
        they were lying, even covertly, that's a far bigger issue than whether they
        learned anything or not or whether they produced useful functionality. And
        the lack of communication up front is also a problem.

        Were I setting up PDT in an XP way, I would emphasize the values of
        communication, feedback, courage, and respect and the principles of
        accountability and responsibility. A compatible format would be to ask
        everyone at lunch on Friday to say what they were going to do and Monday
        morning to ask them what they learned, with emphasis on practical impact on
        the project. If executives are interested, someone would summarize the plans
        and results and send them a copy (or invite them to the meetings).

        If someone wanted an exception to the goals of PDT, Friday lunch would be
        the time to discuss it. If it was my money, I would view PDT as a productive
        form of slack. If the choice was between reneging on a customer commitment
        and learning a little about Ruby, I hope the team would choose to take care
        of the customer (with reflection to figure out why they mis-estimated). If
        the choice was between adding one more story that the customer wasn't really
        expecting and honoring PDT, I hope the team would stick with PDT. If the
        choice was between adding a story the customer really really wants on Monday
        and would consider a personal favor and honoring PDT, then you have an
        interesting discussion.

        Cheers,

        Kent Beck
        Three Rivers Institute