Re: [XP] Any recommendations for Agile Software Development and Project Manageme

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 29, 2007
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Neuhaus"
      <joe_neuhaus@...> wrote:
      > What's worse, is that there are two different views of a project, one
      in
      > the accounting system, and another in the Agile tool. As they say,
      > there should only be one version of the truth.

      "They" here doesn't include any accountants that I know! Accountants
      are quite comfortable with multiple versions of "the truth" :)
      Double-entry accounting is designed to ensure that only the accountant
      really knows what the truth is... everyone else just gets the version
      that is right for them! That and all accountants are inherently evil.

      (Yes... I still harbor inner feelings of bitterness towards all of my
      accounting professors.)

      On a more serious note, it is actually quite possible that the numbers
      necessary for good Agile practices are not GAAP compliant and therefore
      you DO need two different views of a project. SOX compliance is another
      potential pit-fall of an "Agile only" view of the numbers although I am
      a long ways from an expert on either of these sets of requirements.