Re: [XP] Waterfall and Agile : Summary

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hello, thierry_cattel. On Tuesday, October 2, 2007, at 8:15:39 AM,
      you wrote:

      > A final question : how to effectively report status weekly to a
      > management used to WBS plans ?

      As others have mentioned, I think that a report and/or burn chart
      showing software actually working would be understandable, and that
      management would likely come to prefer that kind of information.
      Sincec stories /are/ a work breakdown, it's perfectly reasonable to
      show them.

      You might want to check my running tested features articles for
      ideas on this approach of influencing people in an "agile
      direction":

      A Metric Leading to Agility
      Ron Jeffries
      06/14/2004

      Nearly every metric can be perverted, since up- and down-ticks in
      the metric can come from good or bad causes. Teams driven by
      metrics often game the metrics rather than deliver useful
      software. Ask the team to deliver and measure Running Tested
      Features, week in and week out, over the course of the entire
      project. Keeping this single metric looking good demands that a
      team become both agile and productive.

      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/jatRtsMetric.htm

      Agile, Top Down
      Ron Jeffries
      07/29/2005

      There's a recent thread on the Scrum list about how an executive
      or highly-placed manager could get Agile going. I've been one of
      those guys, and I know a bit about Agile, and here's how I'd
      proceed. First, focus management attention on cyclic delivery of
      running tested software. Second, provide the resources to learn
      how to do that.

      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/agiletopdown.htm

      Running Tested Features

      Alistair Cockburn "rants" on iterations vs deliveries, the
      difference being "running, tested, features". He raises some
      darned good points, on which we mostly agree. Here, lightly
      edited, is my list-posted response.

      http://www.xprogramming.com/blog/Page.aspx?display=RunningTestedFeatures

      Regards,

      Analysis kills spontaneity.
      The grain once ground into flour germinates no more. -- Henri Amiel