What would you want in a database change/refactoring tracking tool?

  • nvoxland
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      I am one of the developers of LiquiBase (http://www.liquibase.org), an
      LGPL Java library for creating, applying, and managing database changes.

      I was hoping to get some feedback from outside our mailing list on
      what new features would be most helpful to add--especially for people
      dealing with databases in an XP environment. I feel that the project
      is getting to the point that it addresses most of the needs that I can
      think of. However, I know there are uses and constraints that we have
      not thought of and want to make sure we address them. That is why I'm
      asking: What would help you the most in a database change
      (refactoring) tracking tool? Is there particular functionality that
      would make your life much easier? Are there a requirements that you
      would need satisfied? Is there something keeping you from adopting a
      database change tracking tool?

      In case you haven't kept up on recent releases, our current major
      functionality includes:
      - 34 Refactorings
      - Extensibility to create custom refactorings
      - update database to current version
      - rollback last X changes to database
      - rollback database changes to particular date/time
      - rollback database to "tag"
      - Stand-alone IDE and Eclipse plug-in
      - "Contexts" for including/excluding change sets to execute
      - Database diff report
      - Database diff changelog generation
      - Ability to create changelog to generate an existing database
      - Database change documentation generation
      - Ability to save SQL to be applied for approval by a DBA
      - DBMS Check, user check, and SQL check preconditions
      - Can split change log into multiple files for easier management
      - Can be run via command line, Ant, Maven, Servlet container, or Spring
      - Support for 10 database systems

      You can also see most of the feature requests on our issue tracker:

      Nathan