Re: [XP] Waterfall and Agile : Summary

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      On 2 Oct 2007, at 13:15, thierry_cattel wrote:
      [snip]
      > A final question : how to effectively report status weekly to a
      > management used to WBS plans ?
      [snip]

      Show them some variety of burnup/down chart. I've yet to meet any
      sort of management who has not liked this.

      (That is to say - they like the format. They may not like what the
      chart is telling them... but that's a different problem).

      ADrian
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
        Hello, thierry_cattel. On Tuesday, October 2, 2007, at 8:15:39 AM,
        you wrote:

        > A final question : how to effectively report status weekly to a
        > management used to WBS plans ?

        As others have mentioned, I think that a report and/or burn chart
        showing software actually working would be understandable, and that
        management would likely come to prefer that kind of information.
        Sincec stories /are/ a work breakdown, it's perfectly reasonable to
        show them.

        You might want to check my running tested features articles for
        ideas on this approach of influencing people in an "agile
        direction":

        A Metric Leading to Agility
        Ron Jeffries
        06/14/2004

        Nearly every metric can be perverted, since up- and down-ticks in
        the metric can come from good or bad causes. Teams driven by
        metrics often game the metrics rather than deliver useful
        software. Ask the team to deliver and measure Running Tested
        Features, week in and week out, over the course of the entire
        project. Keeping this single metric looking good demands that a
        team become both agile and productive.

        http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/jatRtsMetric.htm

        Agile, Top Down
        Ron Jeffries
        07/29/2005

        There's a recent thread on the Scrum list about how an executive
        or highly-placed manager could get Agile going. I've been one of
        those guys, and I know a bit about Agile, and here's how I'd
        proceed. First, focus management attention on cyclic delivery of
        running tested software. Second, provide the resources to learn
        how to do that.

        http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/agiletopdown.htm

        Running Tested Features

        Alistair Cockburn "rants" on iterations vs deliveries, the
        difference being "running, tested, features". He raises some
        darned good points, on which we mostly agree. Here, lightly
        edited, is my list-posted response.

        http://www.xprogramming.com/blog/Page.aspx?display=RunningTestedFeatures

        Regards,

        Analysis kills spontaneity.
        The grain once ground into flour germinates no more. -- Henri Amiel