Re: [XP] Are current "popular" programming languages enterprise grade?

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
      On 1 Oct 2007, at 21:41, Kent Beck wrote:
      [snip]
      > A company might not be willing to devote a person to an open source
      > project
      > because they have never done it before. The barrier to entry the
      > first time
      > an organization does this is fairly high. They have to become
      > comfortable
      > with the legal issues--are we creating liability?
      [snip]

      This is always the largest issue in my experience - and the larger
      the company the more complicated it gets. I did contracting at one
      place that didn't allow me to submit a bug report on a piece of OSS
      until I got it passed by legal <sigh>

      I've always found selling the altruistic angle easy.... but all too
      often fall at the legal fence.

      Adrian