Skip to search.

RE: [XP] Re: New papers available

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      Done.

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      _____

      From: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Anthony Williams
      Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 9:28 AM
      To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [XP] Re: New papers available

      "Kent Beck" <kent@threeriversins <mailto:kent%40threeriversinstitute.org>
      titute.org> writes:

      > I have posted three new papers on www.threeriversinstitute.org:
      > * Appreciating Your Way to XP -- how we apply Appreciative Inquiry to help
      > people understand and apply XP to their unique situation. This is similar
      > material to what we cover in the Mapping XP Geography workshop.
      > * Programming in the Concrete -- an extension of TDD that helps you code
      > in the debugger, giving you more information while you're coding.
      > * Refactoring by Example -- a twist on refactoring that helps you maintain
      > concrete thinking longer.

      Is there any reason why they're in Internet-Explorer-specific MHTML format?
      Could they be made available in plain HTML?

      Anthony
      --
      Anthony Williams
      Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoft

    • Kent Beck
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Gary,

        If I want Rectangle to support a new API for existing functionality, I can
        go to Rectangle, select the method in question, and use "Change Method
        Signature". That's the way I always did it. What Eclipse makes possible is a
        shorter and more concrete sequence--change one call site and then change the
        method signature (and all callers) by example. I'm always worried that this
        will result in other call sites not looking reasonable, but it hasn't been a
        problem in practice.

        Regards,

        Kent Beck
        Three Rivers Institute

        _____

        <mailto:kent%40threeriversinstitute.org> titute.org>:

        > All,
        >
        > I have posted three new papers on www.threeriversinstitute.org:
        > * Appreciating Your Way to XP -- how we apply Appreciative Inquiry to help
        > people understand and apply XP to their unique situation. This is similar
        > material to what we cover in the Mapping XP Geography workshop.
        > * Programming in the Concrete -- an extension of TDD that helps you code
        > in the debugger, giving you more information while you're coding.
        > * Refactoring by Example -- a twist on refactoring that helps you maintain
        > concrete thinking longer.
        >
        > I hope you find them helpful.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Kent

        Thanks for posting these new articles!

        I'm struggling to understand something in the Refactoring by Example
        article.

        In this paragraph:

        "Eclipse generates a list of ways to reconcile this use of Rectangle
        with the existing class. One option Eclipse suggests is that I could
        change the design of Rectangle. This is the refactoring by example,
        because the result of selecting the ?Change constructor? option is the
        same as applying the Change Method Signature refactoring."

        If I understand the idea of Refactoring by Example, I would expect to
        extend the design of Rectangle, by choosing Create Constructor. Is
        that what you intended to communicate?

        Thanks!

        GB.

      • Anthony Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
          "Kent Beck" <kent@...> writes:

          >> Is there any reason why they're in Internet-Explorer-specific MHTML format?
          >> Could they be made available in plain HTML?

          > Done.

          Thanks.

          Anthony
          --
          Anthony Williams
          Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
            I just want to say a word:

            The characters included in the image shown in the central of
            threeriversinstitute.org are Chinese characters, not Japanese.

            --
            渺小的我,只要歌唱,就会看到光芒;
            风雨中,玫瑰只要扎根在土壤,就能够绽放;

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2007
              Hello, ??. On Wednesday, October 17, 2007, at 3:00:10 AM, you
              wrote:

              > I just want to say a word:

              > The characters included in the image shown in the central of
              > threeriversinstitute.org are Chinese characters, not Japanese.

              As I explained to you privately, they are both. The Japanese use the
              same characters.

              The main reason that testing at the end of a development cycle finds
              problems is not that problems were put in near the end, it is that
              testing was put off until then.