Re: [XP] How to accomodate Agile Process and an Alpha-Beta based Process ?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      > - Alpha Milestone : product feature complete with plenty of bugs...
      > - Beta Milestone : Alpha + no major bugs
      > - Release Candidate : Beta + only minor bugs
      > - Gold Master : RC + ready to ship

      Game development, for one, can turn that sideways. Games are
      super-complex programs that must be manually tested, both to inspect
      new art ("assets") and to continuously ensure a game is fun.

      In a game, you deploy daily to create an alpha, and testing starts
      here. When a given version of the game (or a level within a game)
      passes its alpha testing it is "blessed". This version now moves to
      "beta", for user-community testing. If it passes that it's "blessed"
      again, becoming a releasable.

      So these are orthogonal to milestones. An Agile project is always
      releasable. The blessing system is a pipeline leading away from the
      development arena.

      But I agree with other posters that the original poster has many more
      impediments to agility than just their release system!

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/