Re: [XP] How to accomodate Agile Process and an Alpha-Beta based Process ?

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      thierry_cattel wrote:
      > Has someone convincing arguments or approach to accomodate both views
      > so that they dont seem antagonistic ? or so that agile is accepted
      > inside a classical one ?

      Hi, Thierry. You've got some interesting answers. I can give you another
      one, although it's not one I personally recommend.

      Consider this notion: all plans are lies.

      In some sense, this is obviously true. If we're doing anything
      interesting, we can't really know the future. Suppose I say that I will
      deliver these 153 features at 10:32 am on July 11, 2009. I can't really
      know that. However, that's the sort of answer that people want to hear,
      and so that's the sort of answer they often get.

      A lot of times, the people doing the lying aren't consciously doing it.
      They might build a complex plan with lots of Gantt charts and UML
      diagrams to completely obscure the fact that they are passing guesses
      off as fact. They generally do this not out of malice, but because
      people keep demanding the appearance of certainty. So they fool
      themselves as well as everybody else.

      One solution is to make a plan, just like people want. In color, even.
      Then you mainly ignore that and start out doing your agile thing.

      When your alpha date comes around, you release what you have. Sure, you
      might have to do some song-and-dance routine about how things changed
      and you had to cut some low-priority features. Which people are used to,
      because that's what waterfall projects do. But you made your date, and
      you can take that chance to get more input on what you should build
      between "alpha" and "final release".

      That's probably the easiest way to mate an agile development process
      with waterfall-driven expectations. I've seen people do it and it works.
      But personally, I prefer the more honest approach.

      Hoping that helps,

      William

      --
      William Pietri - william@... - +1-415-643-1024
      Agile consulting, coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        > - Alpha Milestone : product feature complete with plenty of bugs...
        > - Beta Milestone : Alpha + no major bugs
        > - Release Candidate : Beta + only minor bugs
        > - Gold Master : RC + ready to ship

        Game development, for one, can turn that sideways. Games are
        super-complex programs that must be manually tested, both to inspect
        new art ("assets") and to continuously ensure a game is fun.

        In a game, you deploy daily to create an alpha, and testing starts
        here. When a given version of the game (or a level within a game)
        passes its alpha testing it is "blessed". This version now moves to
        "beta", for user-community testing. If it passes that it's "blessed"
        again, becoming a releasable.

        So these are orthogonal to milestones. An Agile project is always
        releasable. The blessing system is a pipeline leading away from the
        development arena.

        But I agree with other posters that the original poster has many more
        impediments to agility than just their release system!

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/