Re: [XP] What objections have you heard to doing a spike?

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 1, 2007
      Another belated response.

      On 20 Sep 2007, at 14:56, Phlip wrote:
      [snip]
      > Scenario: We all use the Foo library, but Anu read a chirpy blog
      > entry about
      > the Bar library. That means Anu just volunteered, without the
      > benefit of a
      > pair, to spike the Bar library into our project, to give us a
      > comparison.
      > The rest of the team doesn't slow down, with Foo, just because Anu is
      > spiking. Hence Anu's code must be replaced.
      [snip]

      I would agree. I guess we find the discipline of always writing
      production quality code easier to keep to than the discipline of
      knowing what's production quality and what isn't and throwing the
      right bits away.

      Adrian
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 3, 2007
        On 3 Oct 2007, at 15:07, Ron Jeffries wrote:
        [snip]
        > I was taught by the inventor of the term, whom I may of course have
        > misunderstood entirely, that a spike was an experiment where one
        > quickly blasts through all the levels of some problem, so as better
        > to understand it and its solution.
        >
        > As such, I pull the notion out whenever I see alternatives (or no
        > alternative) and need better understanding.
        >
        > I would try never to do a spike that took a whole day, because I've
        > found that I can usually learn what I need to know in far less time
        > than that. If a spike takes ten minutes, I think that's just fine.
        [snip]

        I'm pretty sure your definition is more globally accepted than mine.
        I would imagine that I've moved from the book definition to mine over
        the years. Silly me.

        Now I think of it - my experimental stories should just be called...
        stories. That's how we treat them after all.

        Adrian (feeling especially dim this week :)