Requesting case studies of Failed Agile Projects

  • padhsk2k
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2007
      Hi,

      Can anyone provide me case studies of Agile Projects that have failed?

      Thanks,
      Paddy
    • Gary Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2007
        Quoting padhsk2k <padhs2k@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Can anyone provide me case studies of Agile Projects that have failed?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Paddy

        Wouldn't successful projects be more interesting?

        GB.
      • Donald Roby
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2007
          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

          > Quoting padhsk2k <padhs2k@...>:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Can anyone provide me case studies of Agile Projects that have failed?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Paddy
          >
          > Wouldn't successful projects be more interesting?
          >
          > GB.

          Probably not. Failure is usually more interesting than success,
          though less pleasant.

          But it's not binary, it's sort of a continuum.

          Most (probably all) "successful" projects have something that could
          have been improved, and "failures" tend to at least give some valuable
          learning.

          Early failure is success. The possibility of recognizing a wrong
          choice early is one of the benefits of an Agile process.
        • Tim Ottinger
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2007
            Describe "failed". Failed to be agile? Failed to be delivered at all? Failed to satisfy the customers? Was too expensive? Failed to "fail fast"?
            We've had this conversation recently, and it raged over many many messages from many many people. Welcome to the can of worms.

            Can anyone provide me case studies of Agile Projects that have failed?

            Thanks,
            Paddy

            ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Scott Ambler
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
              Just to be a tease...

              My December print column in Dr. Dobb's Journal
              (www.ddj.com) summarizs the results of a recent
              project success survey that we did in late August.
              The issue will be out the first week of November and
              as usual will be online free of charge. In the survey
              respondents indicated that Agile projects enjoyed a
              success rate of 72% whereas traditional projects only
              had 63% success rate. The survey asked people to rate
              the "success" on their own terms and did not force a
              definition on them. The focus of the survey was on
              how people actually define project success, and it
              appears that "on time and on budget" isn't quite as
              important as we've been led to believe all of these
              years. Details to come.

              - Scott

              Scott W. Ambler
              Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Methods Group
              http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/ambler.html
              Agility at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/rational/agile/

            • Matt Heusser
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
                I have an article that covers some of this in some detail; it is entitled
                "Perils and Pitfalls of Agile Adoption"

                http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=441115&rl=1

                If you google around, you'll see that Carl Ericson did a talk on the same
                topic at SD Best Practices 2006, with my permission. His presentation
                format is pretty nifty, I must say.

                Regards,

                --
                Matthew Heusser,
                Blog: http://xndev.blogspot.com

                "Who cares if you followed the instructions if it doesn't work when you're
                done?" - Scott Barber's Dad