New papers available

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 28 9:14 AM
      All,

      I have posted three new papers on www.threeriversinstitute.org:
      * Appreciating Your Way to XP -- how we apply Appreciative Inquiry to help
      people understand and apply XP to their unique situation. This is similar
      material to what we cover in the Mapping XP Geography workshop.
      * Programming in the Concrete -- an extension of TDD that helps you code
      in the debugger, giving you more information while you're coding.
      * Refactoring by Example -- a twist on refactoring that helps you maintain
      concrete thinking longer.

      I hope you find them helpful.

      Regards,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute
    • Anthony Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 28 9:28 AM
        "Kent Beck" <kent@...> writes:

        > I have posted three new papers on www.threeriversinstitute.org:
        > * Appreciating Your Way to XP -- how we apply Appreciative Inquiry to help
        > people understand and apply XP to their unique situation. This is similar
        > material to what we cover in the Mapping XP Geography workshop.
        > * Programming in the Concrete -- an extension of TDD that helps you code
        > in the debugger, giving you more information while you're coding.
        > * Refactoring by Example -- a twist on refactoring that helps you maintain
        > concrete thinking longer.

        Is there any reason why they're in Internet-Explorer-specific MHTML format?
        Could they be made available in plain HTML?

        Anthony
        --
        Anthony Williams
        Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28 10:44 AM
          Quoting Kent Beck <kent@...>:

          > All,
          >
          > I have posted three new papers on www.threeriversinstitute.org:
          > * Appreciating Your Way to XP -- how we apply Appreciative Inquiry to help
          > people understand and apply XP to their unique situation. This is similar
          > material to what we cover in the Mapping XP Geography workshop.
          > * Programming in the Concrete -- an extension of TDD that helps you code
          > in the debugger, giving you more information while you're coding.
          > * Refactoring by Example -- a twist on refactoring that helps you maintain
          > concrete thinking longer.
          >
          > I hope you find them helpful.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Kent

          Thanks for posting these new articles!

          I'm struggling to understand something in the Refactoring by Example article.

          In this paragraph:

          "Eclipse generates a list of ways to reconcile this use of Rectangle
          with the existing class. One option Eclipse suggests is that I could
          change the design of Rectangle. This is the refactoring by example,
          because the result of selecting the ?Change constructor? option is the
          same as applying the Change Method Signature refactoring."

          If I understand the idea of Refactoring by Example, I would expect to
          extend the design of Rectangle, by choosing Create Constructor. Is
          that what you intended to communicate?

          Thanks!

          GB.
        • Kent Beck
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Done.

            Kent Beck
            Three Rivers Institute

            _____

            > * Appreciating Your Way to XP -- how we apply Appreciative Inquiry to help
            > people understand and apply XP to their unique situation. This is similar
            > material to what we cover in the Mapping XP Geography workshop.
            > * Programming in the Concrete -- an extension of TDD that helps you code
            > in the debugger, giving you more information while you're coding.
            > * Refactoring by Example -- a twist on refactoring that helps you maintain
            > concrete thinking longer.

            Is there any reason why they're in Internet-Explorer-specific MHTML format?
            Could they be made available in plain HTML?

            Anthony
            --
            Anthony Williams
            Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoft
            <http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk> waresolutions.co.uk

          • Kent Beck
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              Gary,

              If I want Rectangle to support a new API for existing functionality, I can
              go to Rectangle, select the method in question, and use "Change Method
              Signature". That's the way I always did it. What Eclipse makes possible is a
              shorter and more concrete sequence--change one call site and then change the
              method signature (and all callers) by example. I'm always worried that this
              will result in other call sites not looking reasonable, but it hasn't been a
              problem in practice.

              Regards,

              Kent Beck
              Three Rivers Institute

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                "Kent Beck" <kent@...> writes:

                >> Is there any reason why they're in Internet-Explorer-specific MHTML format?
                >> Could they be made available in plain HTML?

                > Done.

                Thanks.

                Anthony
                --
                Anthony Williams
                Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk
              • 小刀
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
                  I just want to say a word:

                  The characters included in the image shown in the central of
                  threeriversinstitute.org are Chinese characters, not Japanese.

                  --
                  渺小的我,只要歌唱,就会看到光芒;
                  风雨中,玫瑰只要扎根在土壤,就能够绽放;

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 22, 2007
                    Hello, ??. On Wednesday, October 17, 2007, at 3:00:10 AM, you
                    wrote:

                    > I just want to say a word:

                    > The characters included in the image shown in the central of
                    > threeriversinstitute.org are Chinese characters, not Japanese.

                    As I explained to you privately, they are both. The Japanese use the
                    same characters.

                    The main reason that testing at the end of a development cycle finds
                    problems is not that problems were put in near the end, it is that
                    testing was put off until then.