Re: [XP] Will someone film for us?

  • Keith Nicholas
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2007
      The decision to IM vs face to face has kind of evolved over time with no
      particular guidance. Other than we work with people all over the world and
      use IM a lot for that (the development team is all in one room) ...
      However....its a factor of

      - dont need an answer straight away (basically cheap email)
      - don't want a full on conversation just want a quick interchange
      - you don't want to interrupt someone when pairing the pair can finish what
      they are doing and then look at the IM
      - want to copy paste something code/url/something from email/wiki
      - you feel you can better express yourself through clever uses of emoticons

      you know who to IM because you know the people, I'm assuming your curious
      about drawing on group knowledge? what tends to happen is if someone
      doesn't know, they may start a conversation.... but in general people have a
      good feel for who knows what, and when your not sure who might know
      something you'll just ask the group f2f.

      what makes us know when its time to IM ? Firstly, its more a case of when
      we have a question... then we choose either IM or f2f based on some of the
      previous stuff. It really comes down to how quick do you want to know
      something / tell someone something. it's reasonably instinctual and
      different people have different tolerances and levels of use of IM vs F2F.
      The cool thing is as soon as IM becomes the least bit awkward to communicate
      with you just start talking.