Project scoping and cost estimation

  • Jecki Sumargo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm new to this mailing list and this is my first post. Since I'm new
      to XP practice, I would like to hear opinions from seniors here and
      also asking for assistance.

      I wonder how you guys do project scoping and cost estimation in XP.
      Since customer is involved along the development phase, how can we
      estimate it? Until now my thought is that project scoping and cost
      estimation occurs before project kick off. But IMO this is conflicting
      to XP, because the number of features that we'll develop will be
      decided after project kick off. On the other hand we need to tell the
      customer about estimated cost in front (eg. we are going to a tender).

      Thanks in advance (sorry for my bad english, hope that it's clear enough).

      Regards,
      Jecki

      --
      Jecki Sumargo
      YM!: ballerina_1224
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2007
        Jecki,

        Take a look at Extreme Programming Applied: Playing to Win
        (ISBN:0201616408) by Ken Auer, Roy Miller. There's a description in there
        of talking with the client, writing cards about features that are desired,
        and doing ballpark estimates based on those cards.

        - George