What objections have you heard to doing a spike?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 14, 2007
      Everyone:

      I plan to write a short article about spikes, tentatively entitled "Just
      Try It", reminding people that sometimes you should just write some
      code. I'm looking for objections to doing a spike. What have you heard?
      I'm more interested in actual objections than I am in possible
      objections you could imagine, although I'll take both. Please be clear
      about which you're providing.

      Thanks!
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 3, 2007
        On 3 Oct 2007, at 15:07, Ron Jeffries wrote:
        [snip]
        > I was taught by the inventor of the term, whom I may of course have
        > misunderstood entirely, that a spike was an experiment where one
        > quickly blasts through all the levels of some problem, so as better
        > to understand it and its solution.
        >
        > As such, I pull the notion out whenever I see alternatives (or no
        > alternative) and need better understanding.
        >
        > I would try never to do a spike that took a whole day, because I've
        > found that I can usually learn what I need to know in far less time
        > than that. If a spike takes ten minutes, I think that's just fine.
        [snip]

        I'm pretty sure your definition is more globally accepted than mine.
        I would imagine that I've moved from the book definition to mine over
        the years. Silly me.

        Now I think of it - my experimental stories should just be called...
        stories. That's how we treat them after all.

        Adrian (feeling especially dim this week :)