Re: [XP] Telepresence with XP teams?

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4 1:29 PM
      Quoting James Carr <james.r.carr@...>:

      > Hi,
      >
      > There's developers in the Virginia office??? I thought that was just where
      > they kept all the business people, safely away from the scary developers. ;)
      >

      > Thanks,
      > James

      Yeah, we have developers in VA, but they only do lame-o stuff like
      accounting and management reports! Bleech! 8^)

      GB.

      > On 9/4/07, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Quoting Cory Foy <usergroup@...<usergroup%40cornetdesign.com>
      >> >:

      >> > I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
      >> > stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
      >> > dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
      >> > have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the
      >> others.
      >> >
      >> > I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
      >> > someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
      >> > couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
      >> > that's pretty close.
      >> >
      >> > One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
      >> > calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
      >> > facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
      >> > a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
      >> > of email or chat.
      >>
      >> We do have very high quality video conferencing equipment, and we use
      >> it extensively to communicate with our Customers in DC. As far as I
      >> know, no one has tried pair programming across the link, but we
      >> certainly could.
      >>
      >> GB.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Cory Foy
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5 5:37 PM
        William Pietri wrote:
        > It seems to me that one of the big problems with remote participants and
        > XP is that one has to consciously act to pull them in to a
        > conversation. I'm wondering if even a cheap telepresence rig would help
        > chip away at that.

        Bet this would too:

        "Meet IvanAnywhere: It's the next best thing to being there; He'll write
        software, attend meetings and even chat with co-workers. Just don't
        expect this digital marvel to share a cup of coffee during your next break"

        http://news.therecord.com/Business/article/236315

        --
        Cory Foy
        http://www.cornetdesign.com