Re: [XP] Telepresence with XP teams?

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
      Quoting Cory Foy <usergroup@...>:

      > William Pietri wrote:
      >> Has anybody done much with telepresence and XP teams? Like others, I've
      >> struggled for years with clients who want options other than having
      >> everybody in one room. I've been hearing rumblings about telepresence
      >> for a while, but Bob Cringely is the first writer I trust who thinks
      >> they live up to a lot of the hype:
      >
      > I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
      > stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
      > dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
      > have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the others.
      >
      > I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
      > someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
      > couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
      > that's pretty close.
      >
      > One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
      > calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
      > facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
      > a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
      > of email or chat.

      We do have very high quality video conferencing equipment, and we use
      it extensively to communicate with our Customers in DC. As far as I
      know, no one has tried pair programming across the link, but we
      certainly could.

      GB.
    • James Carr
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
        Hi,

        There's developers in the Virginia office??? I thought that was just where
        they kept all the business people, safely away from the scary developers. ;)

        Thanks,
        James

        On 9/4/07, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

        > Quoting Cory Foy <usergroup@...<usergroup%40cornetdesign.com>
        > >:
        >
        > > William Pietri wrote:
        > >> Has anybody done much with telepresence and XP teams? Like others, I've
        > >> struggled for years with clients who want options other than having
        > >> everybody in one room. I've been hearing rumblings about telepresence
        > >> for a while, but Bob Cringely is the first writer I trust who thinks
        > >> they live up to a lot of the hype:
        > >
        > > I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
        > > stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
        > > dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
        > > have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the
        > others.
        > >
        > > I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
        > > someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
        > > couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
        > > that's pretty close.
        > >
        > > One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
        > > calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
        > > facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
        > > a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
        > > of email or chat.
        >
        > We do have very high quality video conferencing equipment, and we use
        > it extensively to communicate with our Customers in DC. As far as I
        > know, no one has tried pair programming across the link, but we
        > certainly could.
        >
        > GB.

      • Gary Brown
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
          Quoting James Carr <james.r.carr@...>:

          > Hi,
          >
          > There's developers in the Virginia office??? I thought that was just where
          > they kept all the business people, safely away from the scary developers. ;)
          >

          > Thanks,
          > James

          Yeah, we have developers in VA, but they only do lame-o stuff like
          accounting and management reports! Bleech! 8^)

          GB.

          > On 9/4/07, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Quoting Cory Foy <usergroup@...<usergroup%40cornetdesign.com>
          >> >:

          >> > I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
          >> > stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
          >> > dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
          >> > have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the
          >> others.
          >> >
          >> > I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
          >> > someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
          >> > couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
          >> > that's pretty close.
          >> >
          >> > One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
          >> > calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
          >> > facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
          >> > a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
          >> > of email or chat.
          >>
          >> We do have very high quality video conferencing equipment, and we use
          >> it extensively to communicate with our Customers in DC. As far as I
          >> know, no one has tried pair programming across the link, but we
          >> certainly could.
          >>
          >> GB.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Cory Foy
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
            William Pietri wrote:
            > It seems to me that one of the big problems with remote participants and
            > XP is that one has to consciously act to pull them in to a
            > conversation. I'm wondering if even a cheap telepresence rig would help
            > chip away at that.

            Bet this would too:

            "Meet IvanAnywhere: It's the next best thing to being there; He'll write
            software, attend meetings and even chat with co-workers. Just don't
            expect this digital marvel to share a cup of coffee during your next break"

            http://news.therecord.com/Business/article/236315

            --
            Cory Foy
            http://www.cornetdesign.com