Re: [XP] Telepresence with XP teams?

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
      William Pietri wrote:
      > Has anybody done much with telepresence and XP teams? Like others, I've
      > struggled for years with clients who want options other than having
      > everybody in one room. I've been hearing rumblings about telepresence
      > for a while, but Bob Cringely is the first writer I trust who thinks
      > they live up to a lot of the hype:

      I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
      stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
      dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
      have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the others.

      I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
      someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
      couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
      that's pretty close.

      One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
      calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
      facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
      a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
      of email or chat.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
        Quoting Cory Foy <usergroup@...>:

        > William Pietri wrote:
        >> Has anybody done much with telepresence and XP teams? Like others, I've
        >> struggled for years with clients who want options other than having
        >> everybody in one room. I've been hearing rumblings about telepresence
        >> for a while, but Bob Cringely is the first writer I trust who thinks
        >> they live up to a lot of the hype:
        >
        > I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
        > stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
        > dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
        > have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the others.
        >
        > I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
        > someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
        > couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
        > that's pretty close.
        >
        > One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
        > calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
        > facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
        > a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
        > of email or chat.

        We do have very high quality video conferencing equipment, and we use
        it extensively to communicate with our Customers in DC. As far as I
        know, no one has tried pair programming across the link, but we
        certainly could.

        GB.
      • James Carr
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
          Hi,

          There's developers in the Virginia office??? I thought that was just where
          they kept all the business people, safely away from the scary developers. ;)

          Thanks,
          James

          On 9/4/07, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

          > Quoting Cory Foy <usergroup@...<usergroup%40cornetdesign.com>
          > >:
          >
          > > William Pietri wrote:
          > >> Has anybody done much with telepresence and XP teams? Like others, I've
          > >> struggled for years with clients who want options other than having
          > >> everybody in one room. I've been hearing rumblings about telepresence
          > >> for a while, but Bob Cringely is the first writer I trust who thinks
          > >> they live up to a lot of the hype:
          > >
          > > I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
          > > stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
          > > dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
          > > have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the
          > others.
          > >
          > > I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
          > > someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
          > > couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
          > > that's pretty close.
          > >
          > > One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
          > > calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
          > > facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
          > > a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
          > > of email or chat.
          >
          > We do have very high quality video conferencing equipment, and we use
          > it extensively to communicate with our Customers in DC. As far as I
          > know, no one has tried pair programming across the link, but we
          > certainly could.
          >
          > GB.

        • Gary Brown
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
            Quoting James Carr <james.r.carr@...>:

            > Hi,
            >
            > There's developers in the Virginia office??? I thought that was just where
            > they kept all the business people, safely away from the scary developers. ;)
            >

            > Thanks,
            > James

            Yeah, we have developers in VA, but they only do lame-o stuff like
            accounting and management reports! Bleech! 8^)

            GB.

            > On 9/4/07, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Quoting Cory Foy <usergroup@...<usergroup%40cornetdesign.com>
            >> >:

            >> > I'm surprised James or Gary hasn't posted yet, but that's the kind of
            >> > stuff they are doing - except with their customers. They have a
            >> > dedicated link from Missouri to Virginia they run video from, and they
            >> > have several conference rooms set up so that you can call any of the
            >> others.
            >> >
            >> > I found it worked fairly well - it wasn't quite the same as having
            >> > someone there (indeed, the customers still fly out regularly), but
            >> > couple that with something like the new Microsoft Surface stuff, and
            >> > that's pretty close.
            >> >
            >> > One thing I always saw highly encouraged was webcams - even if we were
            >> > calling our customer, we brought up the webcam so that we could see
            >> > facial expressions, show sketches, etc, etc. I can't imagine it would be
            >> > a 100% replacement for onsite (far from it), but it is light years ahead
            >> > of email or chat.
            >>
            >> We do have very high quality video conferencing equipment, and we use
            >> it extensively to communicate with our Customers in DC. As far as I
            >> know, no one has tried pair programming across the link, but we
            >> certainly could.
            >>
            >> GB.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Cory Foy
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
              William Pietri wrote:
              > It seems to me that one of the big problems with remote participants and
              > XP is that one has to consciously act to pull them in to a
              > conversation. I'm wondering if even a cheap telepresence rig would help
              > chip away at that.

              Bet this would too:

              "Meet IvanAnywhere: It's the next best thing to being there; He'll write
              software, attend meetings and even chat with co-workers. Just don't
              expect this digital marvel to share a cup of coffee during your next break"

              http://news.therecord.com/Business/article/236315

              --
              Cory Foy
              http://www.cornetdesign.com