Re: [XP] Have you ever heard of "function points"?

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      Classic misuse story: A function point analyst was brought into an embedded control project. Because the input was only a single file in tabular form, and because it only printed out a dozen or so forms, and because there were only two input screens, he judged the entire effort to be a handful of weeks of effort. The fact that it controlled an enormous warehouse in real time was completely overlooked.

      Function points at the time were all about counting the inputs and outputs in terms of fields on screens and reports. Later FP developments tried to consider mechanical inputs and outputs as well, but were still pretty much predicated on a store-and-report model of software. This is why a system had to be fully written or fully specified for it to work.

      Most interesting software isn't store-and-report, though. And it wasn't so at the time, either.