RE: Re: [XP] XP Quote

  • Eric Hodges
    Message 1 of 62 , Oct 3, 2000

      OK. What's your question?

      > Nevertheless, the gist of your message seems to be that dolphins
      > (and lions
      > too, I guess) are more intelligent than humans. I'm not really sure.

      I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think "intelligence" is poorly defined
      and burdened with cultural baggage.

      > > One of the first things most anthropologists learn in the field is that
      > > "primitive" people spend more time being happy than "civilized" people.
      >
      > There's no need to put those terms in quotes, unless you feel there is
      > something perjorative about being primitive, or that we civilized people
      > aren't really civilized at all.

      "Primitive" people object to being called primitive. That's why I used the
      quotes.

      > And if you, Eric, really think you'd be happier living more primitively,
      > then why don't you?

      I live as primitively as I can without giving up my home theater. :-)
    • ilja.preuss@epost.de
      Message 62 of 62 , Oct 12, 2000
        >> > No matter how stupid something someone did is, there is always
        >> > something else done by someone else that is more stupid. That way,
        >> > stupidity is infinite.
        >>
        >> Then intelligence is also infinite. But I don't think that's what Einstein
        >> had in mind.
        >
        >This argument is just plain wrong. If you have a number x that is less
        >than 200, I can give you a number that is bigger than x but less than 200,
        >namely (200 + x)/2. Just because some quantity is always increasing does
        >not mean that its limit is infinite.

        So, if 200 is the asymptotic upper bound of stupidity on your scala (ys),
        I will create my own scala (mos) as mos = -(1 / (ys - 200)). Therefore stupidity
        is infinite (as measured in mos) ;-)

        ciao, Ilja