Re: [XP] WhyNotWiki?

  • keith_braithwaite@ams.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3 7:47 AM
      ray_pingree@... on 03/10/2000 15:37:23

      Please respond to extremeprogramming@egroups.com

      To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Keith Braithwaite/AMS/AMSINC)

      Subject: [XP] WhyNotWiki?

      I posted a couple questions on wiki?PlanningGame, and someone sent me
      an email saying everyone had moved here. Just curious, why does
      anyone prefer this? It seems to be mostly off-topic, and even among
      the messages that are actually about XP, it's much harder to find a
      discussion of a specific XP sub-topic. Please tell me you haven't
      all GivenUpOnWiki.

      A very, very good question, Ray. My involvement with the broader XP community
      has withered markedly since it left the Wiki. Sadly, this mailing list is just
      as spastic as all the others I used to subscribe to but don't any more. Wiki has
      it's weaknesses, but it beats this medium hollow, IMHO.

      I keep an eye on http://c2.com/cgi/topten?do=counts&do=wiki from time to time.
      The XP roadmap is consistently in the top 10, the resource is still there, and
      the XP pages are slowly getting tidied up over time.

      I for one haven't given up on the Wiki, either as technical forum or social
      experiment.

      Keith
    • Morris, Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3 11:11 AM
        > I posted a couple questions on wiki?PlanningGame, and someone sent me
        > an email saying everyone had moved here. Just curious, why does
        > anyone prefer this? It seems to be mostly off-topic, and even among
        > the messages that are actually about XP, it's much harder to find a
        > discussion of a specific XP sub-topic. Please tell me you haven't
        > all GivenUpOnWiki.

        I like both. I like the mailing list as a place to discuss new thangs -- I
        find following a conversation too difficult on Wiki -- and then when some
        sort of consensus is reached, post more permanent text to Wiki and leave the
        cruft on the list. That's just my take ...

        Chris
      • Laurent Bossavit
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3 1:59 PM
          > I like both. I like the mailing list as a place to discuss new
          > thangs -- I find following a conversation too difficult on Wiki --
          > and then when some sort of consensus is reached, post more
          > permanent text to Wiki and leave the cruft on the list. That's just
          > my take ...

          Ditto. I find that Wiki and the XP list have different rhythms, bring
          me different kinds of information, and I get different benefits from
          either; but I very much get the feeling that the XP community is
          vibrantly alive on either medium.

          Wiki is more difficult to "get into the swing of" than the mailing
          list, if only because the mechanics and etiquette of lists are well
          known to a majority of technical-minded Internet users, while Wiki is
          a strange beast with its own moods which are at times hard to
          fatho... Tthe current period being one of those times; Wiki has
          things on its mind these days that on the face of it appear to be
          pretty remote from the concerns of the XP community. But that's Wiki
          for you, I guess !

          -[Morendil]-
          Use of this tagline in nuclear applications prohibited.