Re: Business and Software Perspectives Re: [XP] Defining Agile (feedback via running software)

  • Robert Biddle
    Message 1 of 503 , Aug 4, 2007
      Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu wrote:
      > They might even result in success. Or not. Some processes might embrace
      > > that kind of risk. But it seems that agile processes could not continue
      > > at all, as they would reject that kind of risk.
      > >

      > Have you ever tried running blind? You'll sure gonna crush somewhere but you
      > don't know when you crash and you don't know what you crush. It's really
      > exciting.

      I don't think developing software without a customer is like running blind.

      Rather, I would propose that developing software without a customer is
      like running fully sighted, but in place we don't know, trying to get
      somewhere we won't necessarily recognise. Whereas with a customer, it
      would be like running with a guide who knows the area, and has an idea
      where we want to get to.

      Both have risks. The agile approach is to rely on the customer or guide.
      But they can be wrong.

      Cheers
      Robert
    • Bob Payne
      Message 503 of 503 , Sep 12, 2007
        Dear Xpers,

        Ever wanted an Agile Planning/Development class with a real customer.
        Interested in learning Rails Development working from real examples
        on a real Open Source project.

        Real Training
        Real Projects
        Real Impact
        ... Get Real!

        -------- THE LAB ---------

        Code Green Labs (http://codegreenlabs.com) is offering Agile Planning/
        Rails Lab in Washington DC, November, 1-4, 2007.
        This lab will be held on the campus of Georgetown University and is
        hosted by the Center for New Designs in Learning and
        Scholarship.

        During this lab we will work directly with Segundo Velasquez from
        Mano a Mano to define the first release of their Donor
        Information and Online Donation application. Mano a Mano will use
        this application to communicate the status of their
        many ongoing projects to donors and potential donors. This
        application will be released as an Open Source project to help
        other not for profits achieve their goals. The mission of Mano a
        Mano Medical Resources is to create partnerships with
        impoverished Bolivian communities that improve health and increase
        economic well-being. Mano a Mano has been guided
        by the simple yet powerful premise that groups of committed
        volunteers can reach across national boundaries to make a
        dramatic difference in the lives of others.

        Segundo gave and interview and talk at Agile2007 and that interview
        can be found here.

        http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=255315

        -------- SCHEDULE AND COST ---------

        November 1 - Agile Planning Lab
        - Envisioning, Story Writing, Estimation, Release Planning,
        Customer Test Definintion
        November 2-4 - Agile Rails Lab
        - Agile Software Development Practices and Rails Development
        Attend both Labs and save $300

        Visit http://codegreenlabs.com for more information

        -------- WHO SHOULD ATTEND ---------

        Since software teams are made up of many different disciplines we
        welcome the participation of anyone interested in learning Agile
        Software Delivery including:

        - Developers
        - Testers
        - Analysts
        - Managers
        - Apprentice Agile Coaches

        -------- CODE GREEN LABS ---------

        We are dedicated to creating a unique training experience that uses
        real projects with real deliverables. Labs work on projects that make
        a difference in the world, benefiting organizations that are working
        to improve the environment, human rights, social justice, health and
        economic development. By marrying the efforts of dedicated
        professionals learning Agile Development techniques with not for
        profit and research communities that need high quality software, we
        hope to be a small part of a positive change. Each training class
        will work on a specific software project for a specific cause.

        For more information contact me.
        Bob Payne
        Host AgileToolkit Podcast
        202-903-6854