Re: [XP] Name for "common characteristic of good examples"

  • Joe Tatem
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
      Quality without a name?

      Couldn't resist...

      Joe

      Peter Dettman wrote:

      > > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
      >
      > Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...
      >
      > Pete.

      > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
    • Robert Myers
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
        Dear Alistair,

        From Merriam-Webster:

        Paragon: A model of excellence or perfection.

        Rob

        PS: I think "Good Thing" has been co-opted by Martha Stewart...
        PPS: If you are, by chance, looking for a good domain name, I can offer you
        only my hopes and good wishes. So many of the domain-name paragons are up
        for auction... ;)
      • Kay Johansen
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
          acockburn@... wrote:

          > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
          > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

          > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
          > and 25 smores of use cases,
          > and 7 smores of sonnets,
          > and 3 smores of friendship.

          Habits?

          -Kay
        • Chris Collins
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
            archetypical

            ------------------
            Chris Collins <ccollins@...>
            RoleModel Software
            The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
            <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com>
            342 Raleigh St.
            Holly Springs, NC 27540

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000

              > managers, where a "smore" is a common characteristic of good

              > examples.

              </color>Doesn't "knack" come close ? "I collect project managers' 'knacks'."

              Dictionary definition (meaning 2 is the closest to what you want) :

              knack (nak) n.

              1. A clever, expedient way of doing something.

              2. A specific talent for something, especially one difficult to
              explain or teach.

              3. (Archaic.) A cleverly designed device. A knickknack.

              <nofill>
              -[Morendil]-
              Famous Last Words : a wimp like you, a sorcerer ? Ha !
            • Laurent Bossavit
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                Apologies for the HTML formatting crud in the previous post...

                -[Morendil]-
                On a clear disk you can seek forever
              • Michael C. Feathers
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Alistair wrote:
                  > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                  > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                  > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                  > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                  > or easy to explain.
                  > I want to say to that passer by that
                  > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
                  > a common characteristic of good examples.

                  If you want to give a name to the common 'characteristics'
                  of good examples, how about:

                  trinkets,
                  facets,
                  sparkles,
                  glows,
                  gold coins (dubloons)

                  Michael

                  Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                  Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                  XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
                  www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
                  "You just keep going all the way, as deep as
                  you can. You keep trying to get right down
                  to the crux." -- John Coltrane
                • Morris, Chris
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                    > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
                    > thanks,

                    How 'bout 'fruit'?

                    Chris
                  • acockburn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                      Thanks so far, peoples. I removed the many synonyms for "good examples",
                      not being the point of the exercise, and sifted out the following
                      suggestions, from
                      Dave Thomas, Ben Kovitz, Michael Feathers, Laurent Bossavit. Evidently this
                      is really really hard, so I don't worry that nothing yet jumps out. In the
                      matter of project management, I can say "tactics and strategies", but of
                      course that doesn't work for use cases.

                      smore
                      gem
                      best practice
                      Ancient Secrets of the √úbermeisters!
                      Insights
                      Sine Quae Non
                      Pearls
                      What Makes a Good xxx
                      facets
                      sparkles
                      dubloons
                      knack

                      Imagine an armature for a sculpture, made up of segments put together. Each
                      segment is load bearing, so it actually matters if it is present or not.
                      Then a smore/pearl/dubloon is one such segment. A person builds up a
                      sculpture around the armature, using the armature for stability.
                      I just ran a workshop identifying potential smores, and none of the words
                      hung together right. So I'll keep going. Don't know if an acronym is going
                      to be better, or a simple word with a double meaning, or what. But the
                      speaking is, "OK, we have 23 xxxx's nominated here, let's test them against
                      the others we have." The term must apply equally to sonnets as to use cases
                      as to project management as to project tactics.

                      thanks again,
                      Alistair
                    • Eric Hodges
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                        How about "axiom"?

                        They don't have to be good or right, but one builds on them in a given
                        context.
                      • Phil Goodwin
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                          theme (as in music)
                          principle
                          doctrine
                          value
                          meme
                          aha
                          key
                          trick
                          Element of Good xxx
                          Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951

                          "If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." -- Gordon Moore
                        • Robert Leftwich
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                            Fundament ?

                            'An underlying theoretical basis or principle' or 'The part of the body on
                            which one sits' - they both fit the sculpture analogy :-)

                            Robert
                          • Robert Leftwich
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 5, 2000
                              As you/we are having so much trouble naming these characteristics, you
                              could try not giving them names at all, i.e. 'characteristics without
                              names'. Since you want to specifically refer to the good characteristics
                              they could be 'qualities without any names' or the singular 'Quality
                              Without a Name', which leads to the following :

                              "OK, we have 23 qwans nominated here, let's test them against the others we
                              have."

                              Robert
                            • Steve Goodhall
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 7, 2000
                                Let's give this a new flavor. How about "eigenshaften". That's German for
                                qualities or attributes.

                                Steve Goodhall
                                mailto:SGoodhall@...
                                http:/members.home.net/sgoodhall/
                                Sooner or later, all this planning has to degenerate into work. - Peter
                                Drucker

                              • patmaron@altavista.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 25, 2000
                                  How about calling them COGS (Characteristics Of Good exampleS)?

                                • mshaynes@bryancavellp.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                    As a newbie to the list, I'll keep it quick: I like Axiom, Tenet,
                                    and Jordan.

                                    (sorry if this qualifies as "posting 'me too!' like some lame
                                    AOL'er", this is a great thread!)