Re: [XP] Agile Dojo

  • Arnaud Bailly
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
      Robert Biddle <Robert_Biddle@...> writes:

      > Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >
      > > I am no expert in martial arts, but here is my report. My point
      > > isn't to change your mind, which I expect not to be possible, but to
      > > offer a different viewpoint. My martial art is T'ai Chi,
      >
      > I read Ron's message and have a similar story to report. My marital
      > art was called "Salsa", and we practiced in a place called a
      > "Studio". We met the same time every week, and our teacher helped us
      > learn new skills and practice them. We also began with a ritual,
      > whereby we all admired each others clothes and fitness.

      Mine is called "Tango" and the location name in use is a "Practice". :-)

      > So I agree with Ron that this was an excellent way to learn. Many of
      > us met at organisations were we were encouraged to practice our
      > techniques. Some later established partnerships based on this marital
      ^^^^^^^
      Interesting semantic collision ;-)

      So according to your/our examples, here is what defines a dojo:
      1. a teacher, someone that can teach me new skills, correct me if I'm
      wrong
      2. a place, where I can practice those newly taught skills and
      congregate with ...
      3. people, like me, from which I can also learn and with which I can
      interact, with ...
      4. good will and respect.

      Regards,
      --
      OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
      Arnaud Bailly, Dr.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
        On 8/2/07, Robert Biddle <Robert_Biddle@...> wrote:

        > I read Ron's message and have a similar story to report. My marital
        > art was called "Salsa", and we practiced in a place called a

        techniques. Some later established partnerships based on this marital
        > art. A friend of mine even became a coach and opened her own dojo, I

        Then it truly was a 'marital' art, no?

        :)

        Chris.

      • Charlie Poole
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
          Hi Ron,

          > Now I don't feel strongly one way or another about the "Dojo"
          > designation, which I take to be roughly equivalent to "Gym"
          > (in the USA sense anyway), or "Classroom". What I do feel
          > strongly about is that there is value to having a place of
          > learning, where we set our minds to be open and to experience
          > what is being offered. When I'm faced with some culturally
          > foreign situation, I try to drop my automatic defenses and
          > let the thing happen. Sometimes I succeed with that, and
          > usually everything turns out just fine.

          Nicely put. I have that goal for myself as well, and sometimes
          I even achieve it. OTOH, if I'm trying to communicate and my
          choice of language fails to connect with other folks, I find
          it's usually more useful for me to adapt my language rather
          than trying to stretch their level of acceptance. Of course,
          the latter would be more convenient for me... if it worked...

          I think it's good for programs and people to be generous in the
          variations of input they will accept while putting fewer demands
          on the generosity of those who must process their output.

          Charlie

          Charlie

          > Regards,
          >
          > Ron Jeffries
          > www.XProgramming.com
          > If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to
          > seek it; if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish
          > for me to permit it.
          > -- Kelly Easterley

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Spayd
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
            Hi All,

            Hey, this has become a really cool chain :-). Thanks so much for all your
            answers. I have only had time to thoroughly read the first few, then skimmed
            the rest (sorry for being a bad thread host).

            This is very valuable to me and I will comb it for more juice later. For
            now, I am grateful for your help.

            I will have further questions or kudos when I get a change to digest it
            (probably next week)

            Bonne Weekende, toute le monde,

            Michael

            --
            Michael K. Spayd
            Cogility Consulting Solutions, LLC

            "Leading Agile Enterprise Transformations"