RE: [XP] OFF_TOPIC Re: Why do I test private methods?

  • Tom Copeland
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2 7:45 AM
      Hey, was that a quote from Jake of New York there?

      "That way lies madness..."

      Tom

      P.S. "This world, you see, has moved on."

      From: "Robert Watkins" <robert.watkins@...>

      > public Result doSomeWork() {
      > Data data = readData();
      > return doWork(data);
      > }
      > [...]
      >
      > If I want to test from the public method only, I have to write 1 test for
      > success, plus 5x4 tests for the various combinations of failures. A total
      of
      > 21 tests.

      I wouldn't test all combinations. That way lies madness. I would probably
      test several success scenarios (not just one), and 5 + 4 failure scenarios.

      Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
    • Mark Wilden
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2 9:09 AM
        > Hey, was that a quote from Jake of New York there?
        >
        > "That way lies madness..."

        Dunno who Jake of New York is. The quote is after Shakespeare.
      • Tom Copeland
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2 10:50 AM
          Stephen King, The Dark Tower, Volume III... good stuff.