Re: [XP] Re: Blog post for discussion

  • Craig Davidson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      It would be nice to have enough hours to learn new IDE's
      but I (and most people I know) just don't

      My meat and potatoes; like most; are Java and C#.
      But my IDE's are not the things which cause me the most pain....
      (Granted in C# it was - until Resharper)
      nor is my approach to software development.....

      We all have an opportunity cost of any learning

      I feel I'd be better spending my time:
      - learning to be more effective with Ruby on Rails -
      which gets me much greater efficiencies than JAVA or C# with no ide!!
      - learning how graphic designers layout a page -
      which may (someday) improve my web design
      - learning to efficient with VI/VIM -
      which would help for my remote terminal access
      - learning how to use iText -
      which would prepare me for a bit of work I need to do before the end
      of the year
      - learning more about the differences between fedora 6 and centos 4 -
      which makes life easier when you have to rebuild a system at 11 o'clock
      at night.
      - learning how to better use Watir -
      because I find it a very effective way of producing automated customer
      tests

      Never mind actually writing running tested features!!!!
      I notice a few shamefull facts as well:
      - I'm still using Junit 3.8.1 - because i've never felt there was anything
      wrong with it
      - I'm still using Java 1.5 - because I've just not gotten round to upgrading
      - I've not gotten round to the PragProgs 1 new language each year, because
      it takes me so long to feel like I've mastered any language -
      I'd love to sit down and actually learn Lisp but never seem to have the
      time to give it anything
      other than a passing glance.